Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Cuilcagh

Options
  • 03-08-2022 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi. Has anyone hiked Cuilcagh in Cavan/Fermanagh without using the boardwalk. Trying to find a route online and every search result is to do with the stairway to heaven and you cannot access the summit from there (at least you are not supposed to). Have found some info from pre-boardwalk days but not much from recent times. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

If you read the section titled "Attempt 2 to hike Cuilcagh Cavan and Fermanagh’s highest mountain" on this blog you'll follow a route we did when doing the CHPs. Ample parking and a picnic area at the start, and you zig zag up a forest trail to near a mast, and it's over rougher terrain then from there but there's a well worn track to the summit. It was one of the CHPs with less up and down but I personally found it a right slog for whatever reason, possibly due to the fairies on Cuilcagh or something! But it's a pretty handy one if you're feeling alright I would say.

I have no affiliation with the writer of that blog but there were a few of the CHPs that their info was really useful for to be fair.

Advertisement