Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pouring out of downstairs toilet

Options
  • 03-08-2022 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When I flush the downstairs toilet water starts flowing out of the orange ring at the bottom of the pipe in the attached picture. What could be causing this and what's the estimated cost for a plumber to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Drain is most likely blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Presume you are connected to a mains sewage and not a septic tank.

There should be a drain cover outside the house that you can lift to see where it might be blocked.

Is this the only place you are seeing issues?

Does the water back up in the toilet bowl? If not, then it might be the seal in the pipe is the issue. If it does fill up/back up, then a blockage is more likely.

Could be a quick fix with something like this.

Or if not too bad, a plunger could clear it, but be careful not to just push the water into your WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cheers folks. I'd rather get a plumber to clear a blockage if that's the issue. How much would it be roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It is a bit smelly and you’ll need gloves, but it is pretty easy to do. Once you buy the rods and do it once, you’ll have no problem doing it again if it happens in future. First and only time I did it at a commercial premises, it was around €200 including call out and rodding. After that, I bought my own.

Cheers. I have a plunger for internal use but don't fancy having a go at clearing a blockage outdoors.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify folks the water doesn't overflow over the top of the toilet when I flush it. It comes out of that ring that attaches to the pipe. I have it a few forceful plunges there and I heard a sound that's like blowing bubbles coming from the toilet. I am not sure if plunging internally fixed it or will resolve the issue long term so I suppose I will have to get a plumber out to inspect the outdoor drain?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get the drains unplugged.

So I flushed the toilet a couple of times and used a plunger with force and the water hasn't overflowed at the ring. Hopefully this may have resolved it. I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again I'll call out the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just open the drain outside and get someone to flush the toilet while you are looking into it, you can then see if the water is flowing freely.

I had a drain cleaner out today and the drain for waste for the downstairs toilet was full of waste because as soon as he opened the cover it was full of waste. The drain for both the toilet and sink is in my back garden however I live in an end terrace house and I was wondering would this drain pipe that is under my rear garden cover be the disposal pipe for the house in the middle and possibly the other end terrace house on the row of houses. It's a 3 house row. I had to pay 100 euro to get it cleared so if this pipe is the waste pipe for all 3 houses than on a fairness basis should we not all have to chip in to cover unplugging the drain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Let us know how that conversation with your neighbours goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Hard to prove if your pipe is backing up because of your neighbours excrement.

Advertisement