Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating system for a 2 bed flat in the op of house.

Options
  • 03-08-2022 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

My mother has a 3 story house which was my fathers till he passed away some years ago. It’s heated by one 1980’s gas boiler that does the whole house that is included in the rent.

The top flat is empty and it needs doing up. The rent was very low the most I can raise it to is 1200 euros for at bed 15 to 20 mins from the city centre that’s crazy low. To legally raise it to the market rate would need a BER upgrade.  

What I’m thinking of is

Attic has 100mm of insulation, I can easily add 300mm to that. Dry line the walls with 100mm insulated plasterboard. Maybe 50mm in the bedrooms, they are small. Insulate the party wall with 100mm. Two or 5 new windows.

Split the hearting and give it it’s own heating system, either I bring gas up or air to hear system. Either located in the attic which is huge, side wall of the house or in the living room vented to the outside. 

Am I mad? What systems are out there for small home/flats? What are the pros and cons? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

For heating I think will be cheaper to put in Air to Air heatpumps(AC units that are reversible ). Buying them from EU is much cheaper I think one unit can start from as low as 500euro. There are also ACs with one external unit and 2-3 internal units that can be mounted in each living space.

Advertisement