Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bargaining with Dealers

Options
  • 02-08-2022 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've just moved back from Australia and need to buy a car. Have narrrowed it down to a Peugeot 3008 (2018/19) as it seems to suit all of our needs. Having not lived here for a long time I'm just wondering is there generally any room for negotiation on the price of used cars with dealers or given the lack of supply is it pretty much a case of paying the full asking price?

Also does anyone have an opinion on whether it's worth paying an extra couple of k for an automatic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Car market is turned upside down here in the last few years because of Covid as well as Brexit and war in Ukraine. Used car prices are very strong as importing from the UK is no longer that financially attractive. Less new cars being sold too due to chip shortage and supply chain issues because of the war. All this means less used cars on the market while demand for them is strong. The 3008 and similar crossovers are also in high demand so used values remain strong. Dealers offering very little in the way of discounts but it's certainly worth trying to get something off, as always shop around and try play one dealer off another.

Regarding paying a few k more for an auto. I wouldn't pay too much of a premium for one in the segment that the 3008 is in for an auto as it's very unlikely you would get that money back as the car gets older. A manual would still be favoured by many in the 3008 segment in Ireland even though autos are becoming more popular especially with hybrids and electric cars sales increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭GusGus

Hi - deffo don’t pay 1000s for auto - perhaps a small premium as you are probably used to it from home .

there is little value in the market right now but In saying that don’t be taken for a fool . The current situation has gone to certain sellers heads and they think they can ask crazy money for absolute pieces of crap - just avoid and be patient .

I know you like 3008 but there are other brands - that will do the exact same thing . Depends if it’s a looks things or not . Good luck with it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looking at the pricelist for new 3008s it looks like Peugeot charge a premium for their automatics, €2,000-3,000 but this is likely due to each automatic being the next tax band up.

Normally I would expect an auto to be €1,500-2,000 extra. They're generally not much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

If the 3008 Suits you maybe have a look at Opel Grandland X.

Same SUV essentially but for market or profile reasons seems to be better value.

I bought a 2018 last year for about 4k less than a similar 3008 and its been flawless so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Opposite these days I would have thought. There will be very little manual sold in a few years time with the move towards hybrids, plug in hybrids and electric

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That was probably true up until about 2005, similar to some folks thinking automatics were only for America tourists or people who cannot mast a clutch pedal. These days automatics are more popular even in Ireland and with more cars becoming either electric or hybrid, the manual gearbox is on borrowed time. I'm driving an automatic nearly 10 years now and to be honest unless it was something really special or vintage, I could never see a reason to go back to a manual.

Advertisement