Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFS Velvet Sofa - Protective Spray?

Options
  • 02-08-2022 8:31am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Someone might be able to help shed some light on a question I have regarding DFS and their 5 year sofa care plan. I've recently purchased a velvet sofa from DFS and I have the option of taking out a 5 year sofa care plan. This includes the sofa being treated with a protective spray to help prevent staining and so on.

I understand the 5 year sofa care plan is essentially an expensive insurance policy, but I am interested in the protective spray treatment and I'm just looking if anyone has any information as to what the process actually is and how long the treatment lasts for? Is it worth it, basically? I know some people just buy ScotchGuard and apply it themselves, do DFS essentially do the same thing during manufacturing or is it more durable?

The salesperson mentioned 8 years for the length of time the protective spray lasts, but I have my doubts.

Also I've purchased a few sofa's from DFS down through the years and never had an issue, been happy with the quality and aftercare. They were leather though and I never had the option of purchasing this protective spray during manufacturing.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

DFS, one of the most expensive places you can get and never-ending fake "after promotion price" sales that far too many people think they are getting value.

The "care" plan. An overpriced massive profit earner for both the sales person and store.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/any-dfs-sofa-owners-ever-used-their-stain-treatment-offer-when-purchasing.2252066/

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3629209/dfs-sofa-care-is-it-worth-it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/r5pvRcspQH8jjJ5JJpNkvq/dfs-sales-tactics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah I'm aware that the care plan is essentially an expensive insurance policy. The cost of the furniture doesn't bother me.

I'm just wondering what the protective spray process actually entails. There is very little information available online and I'm just being told by salespeople that it is a 'special spray' that lasts 8 years. Is it, and does it?

I've read the T&C's of the 5 year sofa car plan and I can cancel it within 30 days of receiving delivery of the sofa. I will receive a maximum discount of 75% if I go for the protective spray, meaning the protective spray will cost €60'ish.

You can't get the protective spray during manufacture without first opting for the 5 year sofa care plan (a lot of people won't be aware that you can cancel the 5 year sofa care plan after you get it sprayed and delivered).

Is it necessary to get a velvet couch treated with protective spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Protection spray increases the life expectancy of a velvet sofa and it can help to minimize stains. But I am not sure what its concern with the DFS sofa care plan. Even what to cover area of DFS doesn't take about the protection spray https://www.dfs.co.uk/content/sofa-protection or maybe it is just a way to sell some sprays or marketing trick. I am not sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Thanks SixtaAlthers. They will not treat the sofa with the protective spray unless you take out the 5 year sofa care plan on purchase. Was advised that we can cancel the 5 year sofa care plan after delivery if we wanted to only get it sprayed (they deduct the cost of spraying during manufacturing and refund the remaining balance).

No doubt a tactic to increase care plan sales as most people won’t bother to cancel, but I don't mind too much if the protective spray is worth it and not just a gimmick that merely protects the sofa for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AndreeaM

Hi! I just purchased a quite pricey velvet sofa and I opted for the care plan that I cost me more than 300£ at this moment. The salesperson didn’t mention anything about the protective spray that was mentioned to you. I didn’t read the T&C of the plan yet. Did you sprayed it and kept the plan. Are they both worth it? I’m wondering if it’s worth to keep the plan or not.

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement