Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Meter Readings

• 01-08-2022 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have just updated my meter reading with my Electric supplier and shocked to see a significant difference between the estimated reading and actual. To the extend it really looks like a faulty meter ? Has anyone experienced this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are your readings much out of alignment from last years readings? Like how much of a difference? The predictive value is just that - based on the companies prediction of your utilisation including degree-days with gas or an electrical consumption prediction based off the national average and home size.

So how much are you out and how far out has it been in the past? Have you always uploaded the readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 X35

The increase is roughly 9000kWh , the last actual reading was recorded May/June

Historically I have had a similar peak Jan 2021 , coincided with transfer to a new supplier which left me with no comeback with the old supplier. This time around want to know if this is a common occurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are you saying that there was an Actual reading for May/Jun? Then when was the estimate for? It's not due a reading yet.

Also are you saying it's showing 9000 units since May/June? Have you read it correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's a difference of about 1800 EUR at a rate of 20c per unit?

What was your consumption in May/June for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

changing supplier makes absolutely zero difference as its ESB networks that do the meter readings of all meters no matter who the billing supplier is.

Is your meter inside the house or on the wall outside?

When was the last actual reading (it will have 'a' after the reading)

and are you reading it correctly? - the last digit is ignored on many meters as it is in one tenths of a unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Gooser14

When you transferred to a new supplier in Jan 2021 I presume you had to submit actual meter readings. If that resulted in a large correction figure it has to be that actual meter reading had not been taken for several billing cycles. These high correction usage figures can easily be avoided by submitting meter readings yourself every 56 to 60 days ESB Networks. The readings can be submitted online at https://www.esbnetworks.ie/submit-a-meter-reading

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭joeirish

I have a similar issue. I've had a smart meter installed in July. Since then my electricity usage as recorded on the new smart meter is approximately 50% of what it was in the same months last year. And over the past 3 years I noticed a steady increase in the number of units per day I was billed for compared to the previous year (my supplier always includes this on their bills). So is it possible that the new smart meter is faulty or that the old meter was faulty? I've informed the ESB about this as I don't want any nasty surprises but I'd be interested in hearing if others have had problems like this and how it worked out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

There is a problem with some of the new gas and electricity meters.

Gas networks won’t tell you about it.

Its up to you to call it in. They come and take the meter away for testing and refund the money taken from when the fault occurred.

This is relatively unknown. I’d say it will be well known after the winter.

Older mechanical meters, if faulty, are more likely to run slow.

Does that men theyre going to under count the units used? And any idea about the massive diference between the older usage as compared to the new smart meter? Could the new smart meter be under recording the actul usage?

• Advertisement

More likely the smart meter is accurate and old meter under-recorded.

Problem is that the old meter seemed to give much higher readings than the smart meter. Now I have PV panels and some exces electricity has been exported to the grid over the past few years without payment! But I was wondering if the exporting might have caused an issue with the old meter, could it be that the meter was actually seeing what I was exporting and electricity I was importing? Wonder if anybody else has had a similar issue with PV panels.

Here's a screenshot comparing July and Sept this year with the same months last year. About a 50% drop in what I am apparently consuming!!

Advertisement