Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BE licence needed or not for caravan

• 01-08-2022 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭

So i was looking a couple 4 berth 2002 caravan on donedeal. The one i was looking at is bailey pageant moselle single axel. The advertiser was saying i would need a BE licence. The MAM on the caravan 1337. I drive a Skoda Superb 1.6 TDI S 120PS 5DR. So that has a gross weigh 2000 kg and towing capacity of 1500.So the total weight of carvan + car is 3337 kg which is under 3500 kg

The B licence

"You can also tow a trailer and load weighing more than 750kg as long as the combined weight of the vehicle and loaded trailer does not exceed 3,500kg"

So i am thinking i do not need a BE licence? Am i missing something :)

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

You will be very underpowered with that Skoda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Eoghan25

is that pretty much for any 4 berth do you reckon??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

If you go here - https://towcar.info/ - you can spend hours inputting different caravans to see how they match your car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeoD

I pull a 6 berth with a 1.5tsi Skoda Superb - does the job grand. I wouldn't attempt reversing up inclines though...

I got a BE license as the combined max allowable weight for my setup is around 3,510kg. The caravan itself is under the max allowed towable weight for the car. You don't need a BE licence for your car and that caravan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

OK. This van be very confusing even for the best but here it goes.

Basically the MAM of the vehicle plus the weight of the trailer (caravan being a fancy trailer essentially) must be no more than 3500kg combined. Now, MAM of the vehicle is the max permitted weight of the towing vehicle ie the potential carrying weight but with the trailer its the actual weight if it were weighed (assuming you dont exceed its permitted mass)

For example, my caravan is 1500kg. I could tow this with an estate or santander fe and not need a BE, but, I have a ISUZU Dmax and it has a kerb weight of 1900kg but a MAM of 3500 so ironically although a better vehicle to tow thw caravan with I need a BE licence. I can only tow a trailer of no more than 750kg in a DMax without needing a BE licence

But, as others mentioned as long as the weight of the vehicle and caravan don't exceed 3500kg you don't need BE licence keeping in mind you don't exceed the weight limit allowable on the caravan and the towing limit on the vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think that there is also a stipulation somewhere that if you go over 750 kg, then the item you are towing has to be braked, but I am open to correction here on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If the towed vehicle, ie the trailer weighs more than 750kg laden, it must have brakes. The load you can carry would be 750kg minus the weight of the actual trailer itself

Advertisement