Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding burial location

Options
  • 31-07-2022 1:04pm
    Administrators Posts: 354 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Off topic: chat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hello all looking for some advice....

I am helping a friend whose grandmother (born 1935) is looking for the resting place of her brother.... Their mother died young and the children where separated, the son patrick was placed with his uncle Patrick and the two daughters with the nuns. they never saw each other again. They were born in Co. monaghan, Patrick married in 1956 and had two children but in 1960 he was working away in newry and visited Bray co. wicklow and commited suicide, i have been trying for a while now to find where he was buried. As it was a suicide he may not have been given a catholic burial and I can't find any records. I am near monaghan for the weekend and have visited cemeteries and have contacted many parishes but there seems to be some records lost in the 1960s, his wife could be still alive and I know what his daughters were called, no joy yet. I just want to give this lady some news of where her brother Patrick Finnegan was buried. I have found newspaper articles on the event but no obituary as to where he was buried.... Could he have been buried in Bray? Thanks for reading.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think I have seen you post about this on the #AncestryHour on Twitter too.

He would not have been given a Catholic burial in those sad circumstances. It's also likely that the family may have kept this quiet and so there may not have been a death notice in the paper, which would normally detail a funeral and burial destination.

I don't think there would have been a crematorium in Ireland then but you should check.

Have you searched the various online graveyard sites? Not necessarily comprehensive. Check Wicklow Co. Co. to see what cemeteries they manage in the Bray area and they should be able to tell you where the burial records are for them. Not all will be online.

Consider also the large municipal cemeteries in Dublin - no religious element to them to block burial of a person who killed himself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

According to his death certificate the verdict was drowning while his mind was temporarily disturbed (not suicide). I've checked the St Peter's Bray records & he wasn't buried there; is it possible that he was brought back to Newry?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would the Coroner's office have any record who the body was released to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

Look into his wife's family. Where was she from? He could have been buried in a family plot belonging to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Irish Press and Evening Herald for the week of his death are missing from the Irish News Archive.

Perhaps that might be worth sourcing elsewhere if not done so already.

Genealogy Forum Mod

See part of report from Wicklow People - his relatives did not attend the inquest

Further reports on the drowning - no mention of burial place. May have been buried near his home place in Corbrack, Ballybay Co Monaghan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's very sad. If it was decades earlier, you could understand economics playing a role in relatives not coming to the inquest, but in 1960, surely someone could have attended.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My apologies I didn't even see this thread, when I originally posted it, it just disappeared and I didn't get notifications. Thank you for the help and I am sorry only posting thanks now.

• Advertisement

I did email the coroners' office but didn't get a reply I will try again.

I have contacted the Historical Society in Co. Monaghan and they are helping me out by contacting locals who still live their and who might remember the family and what happened.

Finally hear back from coroners office.

Thank you for your email.

The Coroner in 1960 was Dr. Alfie Byrne and his records/files should be held by The County Registrar, Circuit Court Office, Bray (Bray Courthouse, Civic Centre, Main Street, Bray)

Yours truly,

Cathal Louth

Coroner

Advertisement