Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowman on Sunday

Options
  • 31-07-2022 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

This programme has been running for a long time. I don't know what the official listenership of it is (does anyone?) but it must be popular given its longevity. John Bowman is a very professional broadcaster who seems to have left TV for quite some time.

But is it time for a change or and a rethink? This morning I was listening to it on the 10th anniversary of Maeve Binchy's death. It struck me, and not for the first time, that the longer this programme is on you end up hearing the same soundbites over the years. I am wondering was there a 5th anniversary of her on this programme featuring the exact same recordings? Will there be a 15th year anniversary?

I am certain I am beginning to hear the same recordings of various people and events as different anniversaries roll by. Have I heard about three separate Bloody Sunday anniversary recordings? Maureen Potter? The Arms Trial? You get the point.

I think the programme is very tired and needs something fresh about it. However I do not think John Bowman should be ditched from RTE. He is far too good but perhaps his talents (of which he has many) should be redeployed.

What do you think?

Comments

Advertisement