Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone Southern Station and The CIE Worldview

Options
  • 29-07-2022 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

I had a half hour to kill today in Athlone waiting for the train so I had a look around the Southern Station and you can clearly see how it was designed to be a terminus station back in the late 1990s when it was reopened. Everything wrong with CIE is all there to behold. They killed off the very useful Moate line and put in extra platforms for train turnback. All designed to close the lines to Galway, Westport and Ballina.

Yesterday I also beheld the sorry state of the old station. Falling to bits and should be repopend as it is a long walk from the Southern Station to historic core of the town. Athlone could easily support two stations. You also can't help but look at the incoming line from Mullingar and thinking how useful that would be.

CIE was some joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Economics101

It is totally wrong to say that the Southern station was ever intended as a terminus. Routing Galway and Mayo trains via Portarlington and Athlone South gave a faster service. The Midland Route via Moate would be totally incapable of handling anything like the present level of services to the West.

Advertisement