Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10k in early December 2022 or late November 2022

• 29-07-2022 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'd like to aim do a sub-40 10k run. I'm not sure how realistic this as my 5k PB last December was 20.05. However I'm in it for the journey!

However for this to be anyway realistic, I'd like to do this in the first half of December or late November at the latest. But when I asked by good friend Google, there doesn't seem to be any race for this. I'm based in Kilkenny but I'd be willing to travel to this (but not Clonakilty, that's too far from Kilkenny for me). I'm surprised that I can't find anything - to be honest, I just assumed there would be something at least in Dublin for this 4 week period, if not anywhere else.

Is there any such race out there that I'm missing that you could point out to me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Toblerone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Aware does a 10k in the Phoenix Park every December but the course measurement can be a bit dodgy, so I wouldn't recommend for this kind of project unless you can establish that the course has been properly measured. Other than that it's a great race, if you position yourself well at the start. Good luck if you find one!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

There's usually a 10k run by Clane GAA mid-November and it's AAI measured. Pop Up Races host it. I don't see it on their calendar at present but keep an eye out.

I'm from Kilkenny and living in Clane so know the journey well. Bones of an hours journey, depending on where in KK you are.

Here's the elevation of the course if that's a deciding factor

Good luck with the training

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Fantastic Butterbeans. I live in the City so Clane is only an hour up the road. Fingers crossed they'll run it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Thomas Kent 10k might be an option for you, although possibly earlier than you mention. It's held in Castlelyons, near Fermoy so about a 90 minute spin for you. It's slated for Sunday 13th November and is usually a top notch race with a good quality field. Quite a lumpy course though so maybe not suited to a PB attempt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kd82

Might be a bit too far but the Annagassan 10k is late November also in Louth. 2hr spin might be overkill though from KK. It's a downhill 1st k, uphill 4th, then down again and a flat finish for about 4k.

• Advertisement

Cheers. My in-laws are in Blackrock (the Louth version) so an overnight stay might be possible. Any idea to the date for this?

Thanks Mr. Guappa. No issue with traveling to Fermoy for the run but it's a bit sooner that I'd hope.

Clontarf 5 mile or Annagassan are the front runners (pardon the intended pun) for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Annagassan was on Nov 20th last year, so watch out for it on the 19th this year. It's usually on the same Saturday each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A word of caution about Annagassan. It's a great course, very fast and it's where I set my PB. But, it's a coastal run and the last 4k are a straight run back to the finish along the coast, and if the wind is the wrong way it makes for a very difficult finish. I doesn't put me off doing it, but just to be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭event

Yep. And I would go like the page on facebook now, it usually sells out within a few days.

We have been lucky with the weather in past few years. But as Pconn says, if the wind whips up it would be absolutely horrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kd82

Yeah I only ran it once last year. First 10k so a PB guaranteed 😅

The final 4k home had a bit of a headwind alright and was tough. Everyone tucking in behind each other but I really liked the event, setup, finish and atmosphere. I'll be back this year hopefully.

The Annagassan 10k registration opens today at 12:00. Dont be surprised if this sells out quick

https://www.njuko.net/anagasssan2022/countdown-timer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

What about the stook? That’s in Dungarvan (Kilkenny). Usually around the last weekend in November.

https://stook10.ie/ website a bit outdated but give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Today's the day!

For Annagassan! 😲

Got a new PB in it today, 40:50

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Well done 👍️ had an entry for Annagassan but couldn't make it in the end. Very disappointed - from the pics i've seen on their FB page it looked look an enjoyable day was had by all

Advertisement