If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

0LIO APP ramping up here

  • 28-07-2022 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

    the Olio app seems to be currently ramping up its reach here, with more tesco stores registering on the app for collection by food waste heroes as they call the people who offer to collect and distribute via the app, the haul collected. having just read the conditions and knowing the amounts involved , the 10 per cent they offer to those heroes, seems to be very little for the amount of work and petrol and time involved. fine if youre going anyway, but really doesnt seem to be worth a trip on its own. IMHO.

    just to clarify, Olio makes waste food availale for free via the app and food waste heroes. if you live right beside the shops then by all means it is a great thing to do. but if like me, you are travelling a distance to collect, think carefully .

    you will be requested to register with the HSE, and watch induction videos and answer questions on also need to have fridge temps recorded, and be ready for a drop in visit from the HSE.

    You can join a food squad, and that has its own group chat.

    one of Olios founders is called Saasha Celestial - One. just a bit of trivia.

    I have been doing exactly this sort of thing for years by myself, so have a fair idea the sort of foods that usually get offered, so lets hope this can be made to be a viable option and alternative to the rampant waste that goes on .

    Post edited by gussieg on


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

    I downloaded the app a few weeks back but it was very glitchy. They sent me emails with similar to the above. I still dont quite get it- are you supposed to sign up as a 'food hero' meaning you get to keep only 10% of what is available and then you have to store and distribute the other 90% to people yourself? Or are they supposed to come to your house and pick up? It sounds like a lot of hassle to be honest for little reward.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭gussieg

    thats what i thought. handy if youre going anyway , but otherwise really only for those who are really into promoting the app.or know enough people who would collect from you.

    plus the threat of getting accused of theft if you dont list everything on the app asap is offputting, still i may give it a go. maybe you need the martyr gene.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

    What's the supporter fee all about?

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

    If you give it a go could you report back what kind of food they are giving away out of interest. Id presume it is a lot of baked goods but wondering would there be joints of meat or similar.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Patsy167

    Waitrose has become the latest UK supermarket to scrap best before dates on hundreds of products in an attempt to tackle food waste.

    It will remove the dates from nearly 500 items of fresh food - including fruit and vegetables - from September.

    Tesco and Marks & Spencer have also scrapped best before dates on some of their products.

  • Advertisement