Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boiler looks terrible.

Options
  • 28-07-2022 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping for advice here. I got a new boiler installed just yesterday €2700 for everything (not paid yet). Just a lodger was there who stayed in their room. Now I've been sent a picture of it by my husband who was surprised by how bad it looked. We assumed the job hadn't been completed yet. The guy I got to do the job has a good reputation and has sent an email last night saying it's all done. I haven't replied to him yet.

I'm no expert but shouldn't it look a bit better than this? Should there be a cover on the bottom to hide the pipes at least? If not, then the plastering job around the pipes is all lumpy and full of cracks. I've put up a picture but blacked out his detalis.

Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In fairness, it's not a clean finish, but in context of what we can see within the environment, it's not the worst what with the dust/grease and black extractor tube over the cupboards. You can finish it off with filler, sanding, and fresh paint, that's not a plumbers' job unless it was specified in the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

What was agreed?

It's the type I would see from a plumber all the time who are not skilled at a clean finish so unless you asked it would not be included. They seemed to have cleaned up as best they could

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Worth asking the plumber to fix the finish. See what they say.

Honestly, they don't tidy up really. Some people would have the boiler hidden in a cupboard.

Otherwise it's very easy to fix. Sandpaper and filler to smooth the plaster, then paint it the same colour as the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Both top and bottom could be hidden with a surround of some kind assuming you can box those areas in.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

Hi, thanks for replies. The bit below is copied and pasted from the email he sent detailing what he would do. No mention of finish or brand of boiler, but I also didn't ask.

===============================

New High efficient condensing gas boiler 

Supply and install magnaclean filter 

Supply and install condensing pipe work 

Supply and install new expansion vessel

Supply and install new time clock 

Chemical flush of the system 

Chemical treatment of the system 

Supply and install all necessary water pipe work 

Boiler will hold a 7 year warranty 

2700euro

==============================

I can't see a new time clock, should this be separate on the wall? Also, the light with the switch in the bottom left corner of picture does not go off, even when the switch is in the off position, can this be ok? Kinda hoping an installer will read this. I just want to be able to ask my installer

the right questions.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the light is staying on on the switch, it's wired backwards. It will work but the light will be on.

Re the finish, I'd get a carpenter to create an enclosure that would run to ceiling and also cover bottom section down to same level as other wall unit's or to worktop level.

If no new time clock, query it. If it's built into boiler, query it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The rest of the room is hardly pristine either, wonky tiles, black grout, chipped and worn cupboard door, black electical socket.

Either leave it as is or include it in a future project to do up the whole room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

OP didn't ask about the state of the room...

I must say, finish of the job is bad. A bit standard here tho.

OP as others say, it's easy fix.

Unhelpful comment, as if a bad room deserves a bad installation job. There was dust with the removal of the old boiler, and wonky tiles? They came with the house, newly built. Maybe you haven't noticed it's the picture that's sideways, not the tiles. Try tilting your head😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Are you saying that you never saw the boiler before it was installed

or that you never spoke to the person fitting it before the work commenced?

• Advertisement

True, to the first statement. I never bought a boiler before but trusted the installer to pick one that looked well. He had checked out the old one so knew the new one would be visible. But how it would look was not actually discussed. And I wasn't there when he was doing it. I assumed he would install one that looked good. I assumed wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Be sure to bring this guy back to rectify the switch wiring. That's just shody.

Advertisement