Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card - where to buy?

Options
  • 28-07-2022 11:22am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, I need to get a new graphics card, I see what I want on Amazon and also on Caseking - where are people buying big items from? I'm not interested in trying to deal with customs, they've lost some stuff on me and it's cost me because they have no means of processing a refund from the customer, only from the business which is horsesht, so I'm prepared to pay a little extra if it means those thieves don't get involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Cordell

I usually buy from Amazon.de, from what I see the prices are at the market level but I trust them more when it comes to warranty and returns issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Jon Doe

I was going to suggest Newegg but customs... :/

Try the stores at https://geizhals.eu

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mindfactory is always great on prices, but they don't seem to ship to Ireland anymore. I'll take a look through the Geizhals listings to see who'll deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Amazon (amazon direct not third party) are the easiest hassle free option. Try all of their various regional variants as there can be price difference. I usually find either .DE or .co.uk to be the cheapest , but .ES and .FR have been cheaper on occasion.

The only Amazon third party seller I've used or can recommend based on my experience was NR NFO , he sells AMD XFX card and is usually the cheapest around. Never had to deal with a warranty issue with him so can't comment on that side of the customer service.

Mindfactory require a reshipper like mailbox.de but even so can be the cheapest option. That said a user on another thread received an empty box from them recently. There are also issues with warranty cost should you ever need to return a faulty card. Personally I wouldn't use them.

Alternate.de will ship directly to Ireland but you need to get a final quote from them. To do this you add the item to the basket and complete checkout with your Irish address. They won't charge you but will instead reserve the item and send you a final quote including Irish VAT and Shipping costs.

Some of the usual English sites can also ship here too , I think scan will ship non-founders cards here but you need to chat with customer service first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Cordell

TBH I will never jump through so many hoops just to buy from stores that don't want to ship here.

• Advertisement

Thank you for all the help so far folks. Yea, I'm with you @Cordell, I'd rather pay €30-€40 quid more to not have to deal with red tape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I got a card from https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/ with reshipping via mailbox.de. They still seem to have some very good prices. They were way cheaper than anybody else when I ordered last year. Depending on the exact card you want, it might be nearly as cheap these days on one of the Amazons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

use https://www.hagglezon.com/ to check the various Amazons for the cheapest price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You might already have bought your GPU but this is a good site for checking a few stores

Graphics cards | GPUTracker

Thanks for that @Wheety, I've already got one (a Gigabyte 3060 12GB) from Amazon UK. I'll bookmark that site for future reference :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Are there any of the german sites that will ship here without using a mail forwarding service?

computeruniverse.net and hardwarecamp24.de are looking like viable options from geizhals searchs

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ricimaki

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Cheers! I'm looking at Caseking now.

For anybody else watching the thread, here's casekings rates for Ireland shipping:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Amazon adds it in at the checkout process, so you don't have to deal with the gross ineptitude that is the Irish Customs service. Some details here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GCXL3PUGPE5UU8PD

My order looked like this:

Well not having to deal with customs is great but you still have to pay extra for it..........and any import fee or customs on a 4090 which is a 2,000 euro card is going to be insane. Is it a case of paying the 21% and not anything extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MADFI5H

hey guys, also looking to upgrade gpu to something like a 3060 12g, just a couple questions

this say lhr and i have read of people complaining about this, but its just anti-mining right? no other downside?i have no intention to ever mine so are these cheaper and a good option?

also wondering about size and fan count, like this has one but often they have 3? is it a better fan, so only needs one? or is 3 quieter as dosnt need to run so fast? i kinda hate super noisy fans

like which of these, do you guys think is the best option?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08WRP83LN?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For what it's worth, I've been doing a bit of review comparisons on the 3060TI's (seems its just about a 3070 which I was eyeing up for a few years) and the Ventus 3X seems to get favorable reviews and be highly recommended

My last few Nvidia cards have been Inno3d iChills which I would go back to in a heartbeart but I can't seem to find a 3060ti in the iChill model anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

I just bought the Asus TUF one from Jacob.de for €527 including shipping. The ventus is a bit cheaper but the TUF is very quiet and has excellent reviews. Generally more fans are quieter. The 12GB is also important as I intend to do some machine learning on it.

thx guys, ok leaning towards the ventus, but im also now wondering if waiting till black friday is an idea

or are gpu stocks still low so chances of good deals then still slimmer than they shud be? like if im prob only gonna save 30 quid or something il just buy now

• Advertisement

I've never seen any good deals around CPUs or GPUs on Black Friday in a long long time. I wouldn't hold my breathe for any Nvidia price drops anyway, just based on their history. They also (rumour has it) have a norticle **** ton of 3xxx stock now, and with people still paying over the odds they won't likely make a budge on price.

Like circa 500EUR just feels too much for me buying what I consider to be the budget end of their range, when I normally live in the middle tier.

hmmm if the stocks are fine, then why the high prices still? like gpus are made by loads of 3rd party companys so it doesnt make much sense to suggest nvidia is drip feeding stock does it? ive been waiting for over a year for gpu prices to normalize, i think it maybe time to accept that this IS the new norm, no?

just seen this TI for 20% off, so just went for it,figured ti for an extra 50 quids not bad

thx for help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Because competition in Europe is kinda jank.

But they're coming down slowly.

And RX 6700 10Gb is down to under 400 which is a good deal.

Customers dictate what the norm is. Nvidia had jacked prices before COVID and mining. Then had some pretty shady revelations during those periods. They will keep prices high as long as people keep paying it.

The answer is market manipulation. Nvidia actually admitted this in their shareholder meeting a couple of months ago. Publicly and brazenly. They ordered too much 5nm wafers. Over 7 billion dollars' worth. They assumed demand would remain high and mining would go on forever. They erred.

Mining fell off a cliff with ethereum going proof of stake. That meant no miners were buying new cards and the old miners dumped all their cards onto the secondhand market.

Now Nvidia have a load of 30 series cards on the shelves and in warehouses. If stock is high and demand is low, inevitably prices will drop. Nvidia doesn't want that. So, they are drip feeding 30 and new 40 series cards into the marketplace and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future until their 30 series stock is gone. Their profits have skyrocketed in recent years and they want this to be the new normal. Their problem is a new competitor has entered the ring with Intel and their new ARC gpu's. When they launch their flagship in a year or two, we will see prices go back to where they were.

In the meantime, prices are going to remain high. Some folks hope AMD will force a price drop in a few weeks but I have zero faith in that.

Advertisement