Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect PC to Printer (HP 5000)

Options
  • 28-07-2022 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I've had this problem since we bought this PC 4 years back. Others in the house can connect to it with their PCs but not me... I've to use a lead.

When I enter the WPA2-PSK code from the back of our router [middle photo (upside down)], it doesn't work. It just tells me that the code I should be entering should be a "4- or 8- digit code". But there is no 4- or 8- digit code on the back of our router?!

And when it says you "can find the PIN displayed on the device", that seems to be leading me to the printer as opposed to the router. There's no pin on the printer though. Strange!

Thank you

Post edited by Rosalinda Eyes on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Try "Connect using a security key instead" with that code

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rosalinda Eyes

Thanks,

First time I tried it, it said this:

Then the next time I tried it, it said I'd got it incorrect! It was the same way when we were with eircom before we switched to imagine! Is there any other way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I tend to try and avoid the software from the printer companies but have had issues with wifi ones. Do you have their software installed? It might help.

123.hp.com - HP ENVY 5030 All-in-One Printer HP Smart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

1. I hate wireless printers, even HP
    2. Why are you trying to connect to printers "WiFi Direct" with password from your router? "Direct WiFi" 4-8 number PIN should be displayed on the printer!
    3. As other computers/devices can print that would mean printer is already on your local network(connected to your router i guess) and has IP. Your computer presumably is on same network - could you try to add printer over TCP/IP?

I am not familiar with this printer because i hate WiFi printers 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Even HP? My only experience was with HP. I can only imagine how bad the other ones must be!

I don't think there's any 4 (or 8) digit code on the underneath or back of the printer, as you can see from the images. That's why I haven't been trying to connect directly.

Adding printer over TCP/IP sounds complicated to me.

• Advertisement

As per my screenshot, PIN should be displayed on LCD display on printer. Refer to printer manual

For TCP/IP see my post here, search on the internet

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/114752956/#Comment_114752956

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Go to the settings on printer.

print network settings from printer.

check your pc and printer are on same network.

open control panel on pc.

add new printer

on The printer network sheet printed, add the printer using IP address.

simples.

Thanks. That helps in the next piece of the puzzle anyway. I've managed to get the WiFi code and am able to connect to the printer as seen below:

But it's not just enough being connected, so when I tried to add it on my PC, it doesn't work. It won't accept the code that it previously accepted that I used to connect to it. Is the WiFi direct passcode different from this "WPS" pin? I managed to get the IP address of the printer but I was never asked for it, it seems. I tried using the printer claim code, but that didn't work either.

Now funnily this printer is showing up in the list of printer already. Third from left:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Right click on the printer and make it the default printer and it should work

edit,,,,, I see it’s greyed out…not connected. Probably an old connection.

in this when you get the WPS pin from the printer screen …. And typed it in your computer what happened?

• Advertisement

Thanks, so I've made it the default printer as you can see with the green tick here, but it's still greyed out:

"in this when you get the WPS pin from the printer screen …. And typed it in your computer what happened?"

It just displayed what's in the 3rd screen shot of my previous post... saying "that didn't work".

I can connect it it now, but it's saying it's offline as in word doc here:

This is how it shows now; displaying 'no internet'. Is that normal giving that you have to lose your connection to your router in order to connect to the printer?

You are connected to printer "Direct WiFi" - it is connection that will/should work for printing, but printer does not have ablity to provide internet.

Your printer should be connected to your WiFi router(Imagine). Then ALL devices that connect to that same router will be able to print to that printer and still will have internet.

Not being familiar... On the printer, go to settings (cogwheel), look for network/wifi settings, see if there is option to connect to WiFi - if your home WiFi discovered>connect to it, if not>move your printer closer to your router. At this point printer should have obtained IP. Print report to find it or see in the settings >use that IP to add printer to your computer over TCP/IP.

Optional(and recomended) set printer on static IP or create reservation on your router for it, use high numbers

When you get sick enough of it, dump it and buy printer that has proper Ethernet connection.🤗

Advertisement