Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delta T on radiator spec sheet

Options
  • 27-07-2022 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick one. I'm looking for new rads and the majority of spec sheets show the Delta T with degrees C, but I've found a minority with K in place of C (I'm assuming this might be Kelvins?) For example ∆t=50K, is this something I need to factor in or is it just a quirk between manufacturers?

Cheers,

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Just a quirk. Kelvin's and Celsius are the same size unit but have a different starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Thanks. I understand that Kelvins start from absolute zero, which means ∆t=50K means the radiator runs at -223.15 Celsius? That doesn't add up.

A delta T is the difference between two temperatures. So the difference between the temp of the radiator and the ambient air is a delta T, or the difference between the radiator inlet and outlet temperature is also a delta t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Delta T just refers to the temperature difference, so it doesn't matter if it is K or C its just the difference between two temperatures.

20C = 293K

100C = 373K

373-293 = 80 = 100 - 20

In terms of radiators delta T is used to differentiate between high temperature systems and low temperature ones, delta t = 50 is standard system, like a gas boiler. Radiators have a rated output for a given delta T.

If you had a low temperature system you might use a delta 30, say for example a heat pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

A 50C Rad (European standard) is the mean (flow+return temps)/2 minus the required room temperature, the calculation for any other deg rad is the (degrad/50)^1.3. Ie a 25deg rad does NOT output 50% of a 50deg rad but a lot less, havnt got my laptop to do the power to calculation.

It's 40.6% output of its 50deg rating.

Post edited by John.G on

Advertisement