Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Macbook Pro - buy now or wait for M2?

Options
  • 26-07-2022 10:27pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking of picking up a new MBP. Not interested in the 13" model that's out now.

Looking at the 16", probably with 32gb ram with the M1 Pro chip. I see rumours that the M2 versions of the 14" and 16" could come in September/October, so I guess my questions are:

1. Is it likely we'll see these upgrades this year? I have no idea of the usual upgrade timelines on macbooks.
    2. Is the M2 worth waiting for?
    3. Do these upgrades usually come with price increases, i.e. will the M2 version be more expensive on Day 1 than the equivalent M1 version is today?

I'm not totally clued in on Macbook upgrades as I mentioned, it seems really weird to me that Apple would release a hamstrung 13" version with M2 rather than upgrading their actual flagship laptops, what is the thinking there? Is it they were unable to do 14" / 16" versions with M2 at the right price point? Or they don't have Pro / Max versions of M2 yet?

Cheers!

Post edited by Sad Professor on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭gmacww

This is probably the exact answer you're looking for:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeirdreMalone

wow, was looking for a macbook pro M2 version. Youtube has so many videos.... Thanks, helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New Macs generally sell for the same price as the old one, however with inflation and the poor euro the M2 MBP will definitely see a price increase, most likely a big one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What did you get in the end?

Advertisement