Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission Galway refusal

Options
  • 29-07-2022 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all My husband and I applied for planning permission for a house on my mums land 8 weeks ago. Today was d day and we got refused. We were so upset and angry. We were given 4 conditions as to why they refused us. Because we going to a weekend not sure if we can view those conditions tomorrow or after the bank holiday Monday.

Our engineer thinks 2 of the conditions might be backlands and wet land as we have had a lot of rain. The council planner came out 3 days before our decision due date. We thought it was so late.

Our daughter has autism so we thought this would help us with it. But since our application was obviously reviewed very quickly they probably didn't look at all the documents to show our daughter has additional needs.

We should get our conditions next week but I would love to hear anyones experience with planning just to help us. And advice on appeals or just apply again?

Thanks everyone really appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EmPond2906

Hi everyone 

my husband and I put in an application for planning permission to build a house at the end of May 2022. We are to hear a word back on the 28 of July 2022. 

No submissions and all our neighbours are delighted we applied. So the planning office came over to view the land and the trial hole. 3 days before decision day!! Seems very close. 

has anyone got advice on appealing if we are rejected? Or is it a good sign that they came to see the land so late into the application?

I am so worried what they will say “more information or conditional or just refused”

any kind words of advice or anyone who has experience with this. This is our first time and hoping we don’t have to go through this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Wait till 28th, re the delay, more like them being bone lazy, plenty evidence of it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks at least your comment made me chuckle 🤭. Appreciate that 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No point worrying until they give the decision. They may have left it late to come out and see the trial hole to see it in particular weather, especially given the heatwave we just had. A bit of rain over the weekend means they can check how the water is draining through the soil. But it's a visual inspection anyway, so they'll mostly be going by the information submitted. It's not an indication one way or the other though, they have to visit the site to view the trial hole regardless.

One of three things are likely to happen:

1. Permission granted with conditions (there are always at least some conditions, even just saying everything has to be done as per the information submitted etc)

2. Further Information (Could be anything, depending on what you're applying for. Might be as simple as clarifying what type of wall finish, or move a window a bit etc. Could be harder, such as issues with drainage, sightlines etc)

3. Refusal.

I would find 3 to be the rarest, unless there are issues with your local needs. Even if there are drainage issues they would normally go further information to give you a chance to do something to push it across the line into a grant of permission.

I would say for a new house, the most common is Further Information. Like I said, could be something simple, could be something a bit harder to deal with, but it's not a refusal so that's the main thing. Just have to take it as it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If the application was lodged in the last day of May then the decision date or date requesting further information won't be any later than 26 July. Get the rosary beads into action and you'll be put out of your misery shortly!I

There's really no point in discussing FI requests or appeals until the time comes...today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thank you that is what I’m hoping for. Further info would be the best outcome. I also forgot to mention my daughter has autism which we included in our application. I’m not sure if that will help or if they eve look at that kinda of thing on applications. Thanks again and I’ll let you know how we get on on Thursday 👍🙏🤞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @EmPond2906 Merged your two threads to keep all together but (silly) new Boards put your latest post at the top (post #1) and I cannot change the order of the posts!!! I have copied and pasted post #1 below to carry on discussion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Copy and paste of Post #1:

Hi all My husband and I applied for planning permission for a house on my mums land 8 weeks ago. Today was d day and we got refused. We were so upset and angry. We were given 4 conditions as to why they refused us. Because we going to a weekend not sure if we can view those conditions tomorrow or after the bank holiday Monday.

Our engineer thinks 2 of the conditions might be backlands and wet land as we have had a lot of rain. The council planner came out 3 days before our decision due date. We thought it was so late.

Our daughter has autism so we thought this would help us with it. But since our application was obviously reviewed very quickly they probably didn't look at all the documents to show our daughter has additional needs.

We should get our conditions next week but I would love to hear anyones experience with planning just to help us. And advice on appeals or just apply again?

Thanks everyone really appreciate any help you guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭cosatron

As an architectural technician dealing with Galway Co Co for many years. You will have to remain very patient and deal with each issue very carefully. Since the new development plan was introduced, the planners are gone very strict. You have to tick every box and I mean every box there is no grey area anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That's good advice.

Unless your agent can say that the Council screwed up I wouldn't recommend appealing the decision. Discuss the reasons for the refusal with your agent and see if you can come up with alternative proposals that would be acceptable to the planners and then reapply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

As Muffler and cosatron said above go through each of the reasons with your agent. Got refused twice in Galway on a house project before the third application was granted.

Visiting late doesn't mean they've reviewed it quickly. It usually means they've done all the desktop work and research and coming out to confirm their decision.

You may have to redesign the house, move the location or another major alteration that's going to take time and cost money.

Can I ask did ye go for a pre planning meeting at all?

Thanks everyone for the advice. We didn’t go to the pre planning meeting but I will this time to discuss what else we could do to better our chances.

Advertisement