If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Planning/Building Regulations

  • 26-07-2022 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

    Hi all,

    I am currently looking at purchasing a 4 bedroom house. Upon completion of sale, I want to erect a <40 sq.m. extension to the rear of the property.

    I am then looking to rent the rooms out on an individual basis with all the tenants sharing the communal kitchen, dining, washing and living room space.

    What are the planning/building regulations surrounding same? I know that if each unit is to be self-contained I will need planning permission and to comply with minimum housing standards for rental accommodation. However, this will be more so shared living accommodation/co-living space and will not fetch as high a rent as a self-contained unit would.

    I appreciate all inputs and thanks in advance!