Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get on an autonomous plane?

Options
  • 26-07-2022 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭

Heard something about this on the radio lately. I 100% will never fly again if they introduce autonomous planes, I know the plane nearly flies itself now but there are still 2 pilots on board if anything goes wrong. I think you need to be crazy to get on a plane with no pilots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If there was some kind of crew on the ground looking after it, then sure. They can fly unmanned rockets into space and dock them with space stations; they can probably fly you to Malaga easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

driverless cars driverless planes can't see it happening tbh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Of course, I use operator-less elevators all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes. Pilotless plane makes more sense than a driverless car, as the flight takes place on a more predictable route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Don't think the OP ever watch air plane crash shows. It is pretty much the pilots fault in most cases. Even when there is a technical fault it seems the pilots reaction is often the issue. A pilot is meant to keep up with the latest information on planes and apparently they don't and worse again with pilots who fly many different models of planes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

Right now, no. Once the technology has been proven and has a better safety record than a human piloted plane then maybe. But all it will take is one autonomous plane to crash and it will set them back 20 years.

Where pilots earn their money is in things like crosswind landings, what will an autonomous plane do when it runs out of ideas, it has no experience to call on and will only fly as well as the code controlling it was written there is no such thing as bug free software, its all made by people and people are fallible. (Yes I'm aware that pilots are people too, but I'd rather have a plane with a computer and a pilot than just a computer).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Most of the time the planes can take off and land themselves as well, can't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

And don't most accidents occur during either take off or landing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Given automated cars are being designed to literally do what you are talking about it doesn't sound like it would be hard to add to an aircraft. It would be similar to the move from a train driver being dumbed down to what it is today. They can also add extra sensors to the runways a lot easier than an entire road system. Maybe it as simple as the pilots won't need to be as qualified

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are in the updated F-18 you MUST keep you hands off the controls during carrier launch. To get airborne you press the big, red “I Believe” button.

If one of the big military drones crashes it's usually pilot error. Army tend to be better than Air Force because they don't try to fly the thing down.

Having said that the software on aircraft is godawful. Lots of examples of stuff that could not have happened had there been a proper walk through or proper testing.

Fighter jets rebooting because they passed the international date line. The Israelis lost a plane near the Dead Sea because the altitude reading was below sea level. Boeing are scary , planes not able to land on certain runway orientations, the debacle on the space capsule shows it's endemic within the organisation and not just on passenger planes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement