Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the best hybrid I can buy right now for 25k?

Options
  • 26-07-2022 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm selling the diesel and in the market for a hybrid.

I know very little about them other than what I have been googling, so would greatly appreciate advice from the fine folks at boards.ie.

I live out the country, need to do a round trip of 30km every day for creche drop off. In and out to work 3-4 times a week which is 40km a pop. Activities / jobs at the weekend, could be around 100km if we go off somewhere.

I like a decent looking car, it needs to take a child seat (maybe even two if I'm being forward thinking). Reasonable bootspace preferable, but I'm OK with having a roof box fitted for holidays etc.

The only thing that has caught my eye so far is the 1.8 petrol Corolla H/B.

Suggestions please!

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That sort of mileage would suit a full EV to a T

Toyota Hybrids are self charging, meaning they are 100% petrol powered, and savings will be minimal….. if self charging is what you want, better off just sticking with the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭pauly58

We've just bought a new Honda Jazz Hybrid, very pleased with it, incredible economy, wide opening rear doors so easy to get a child seat in. Magic seats in the rear as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 confused_dev

I need to get a new car - are you saying it would be more sensible to spend 25k on a newer diesel car? Seems unlikely looking at the direction oil prices are going .... I'd hope to have this car 5-7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ignore the hybrid. You'll have the same issue in 5-7 years, look at fuel prices etc

Perfect use case for a full EV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If you actually need a new car then a Toyota Hybrid is better then a diesel - more reliable for a start.

However Andy is correct in saying that an EV which would be cheaper to run when charged at home.

Can do the driving patterns outlined in your OP - the 40 kms trip to the creche, the 30 kms trip to work.

The 100 kms travel to your weekend activities.

I take it those are all round trip figures?????.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they're round trip figures.... but I see your (and Andy's) point alright.

Looking at cost though - looks like I'm not getting a decent EV for less than 35k? That's a fair whack over what I'd like to spend. Do you think it would financially pay for itself over the 5-7 years, looking at the mileage above?

A lot of people don't really realise what an EV can do in their daily situations.

Hence it was and IS worth noting that the mileages in the OP can be done by an EV that can be bought for 25 k.

Like a Hyundai Ioniq 28 kwh..

However if a driver still feels they need an an ICE car then as a car the Toyota Hybrid is still very good and really reliable.

The problem is that the advice you will get is influenced by the bias of the people giving you it.

In this part of the forum you've got guys who are pro EV.

But in the main motors forum you've got guys who struggle to believe that EVs are real cars lol.

I certainly wouldn't be buying a diesel with a 25 k budget for the mileage the OP mentions in their post

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

25k for a hybrid/diesel will cost you more vs 35k for an EV though.

Thanks that's good advice.

Reliability is a huge factor for me - have never had the same kind of trouble with a petrol car than with the diesel. For that reason I was hoping to land myself into a new enough model with a couple years warranty left.

I'm not set against spending the extra lump and going full EV if the numbers add up to somewhat reasonable over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

There is a vauxhall ampera in cork on donedeal for 9,750 which has been for sale for months.

It's only got four seats but if you can live with that, it sounds like you're an excellent fit for it. It would cover your daily 30/40km round trips without using any petrol, and you have the petrol engine then if you do do the 100km trip on the weekend, of which half will be done on battery.

They're not for everyone but ideally suited for a shortish daily commute like yours with the occasional long trip thrown in.

• Advertisement

A lot of really reliable chariot for the money to be fair if buying ICE car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-corolla-hybrid-luna-h-b/30391134

I should have noted - I don't want to spend much less than the 25k either - I want to buy and forget for the next few years :)

Yeah it seems to tick the boxes in terms of reliable, pretty new and decent looking car. The area I'm hazy in is the economical factor. Reading the car websites - I think Which? had the mpg not far off diesel for my kind of driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

OP look at a phev, https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-niro-2019/31327456, no idea on booth space.

It will do 50 km on battery, 5.5 l /100 km after that so a 100 km trip would be around 3 l /100 km or charge again, takes about 3 hours.

A self-charging gives around the same economy as a diesel car.

For your budget you will get an EV that will do close to 200 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Toyota do not have any "self charging" hybrids and have been banned from using this term in other countries.

If the battery is at 0% and there is no petrol in the car it won't magically charge on it's own.

An EV will cost you more to purchase but will save you in the long run if you can charge it at home. One would also suit you based on you trips you describe.

If you are going for a hybrid try and get one you can plug in to charge. The battery may cover a lot of your trips.

Thanks for the replies folks - definitely has given me something to think about.

So based on the above and within reasonable distance of my budget, what EV would you recommend?

I like the look of the Ioniq...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again...

Was in a similar position to yourself last Autumn, looked at lots of new and nearly new cars in the ~€25k to €30k bracket. Had it narrowed down to New Octavia Estate v Ioniq 5.

Based on our maths (and annual mileage of 15k km or so), the ioniq 5 was going to be cheaper once we kept it for 6 or 7 years, despite it being about €11k more expensive based on sticker price. And being honest, I think it will be pay itself back quicker than that (petrol prices have changed since I did my sums, the electricity consumption of the Ioniq 5 is working out less etc etc)

The brand new Ioniq 5 is also a much nicer car than a base spec petrol octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

A board member selling one here which is well within your budget... might be worth a chat with ELM

I know you said you didn't want to spend much less than €25k either but this is a reliable car with some battery warranty still remaining so just check the rest of the car out and it would be a good starter for you into the EV market and will easily do your daily mileage (based on what you have outlined).

Very interesting thanks. I'll shoot ELM a message

Advertisement