Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to sell an Engagement Ring

Options
  • 25-07-2022 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hav an engagement ring from my previous relationship that I was looking to sell. This ring was made & I recently got it valued at €4000. I did intent to keep the ring for my son when hes older but was told by friends that would be bad luck cause me & his mum didn't work out. So was hoping to do some good with it. My son needs braces & they are costing €4,700! So was thinking if I sold the ring I cud but a good bit off his braces which would greatly help & he will benefit. I obviously don't expect to get €4000 for the ring but would anyone have advice on the best way of going about selling an engagement ring? Any help be much appreciated.appreciated.

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Did she give you the ring back when you split up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wow 4000.

Just goes to show money can't buy you love.

Sorry, bad joke.

Drop into a couple of jewellers for a price / sale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I dont think a Jewellers will buy it though. As where I got it valved dont and I know the owner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My understanding is that engagement rings have a very very poor resale value. There have been a few threads about it here in the past and I know someone was mentioned who buys them. Maybe have a search and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

There is an auction house in Dublin that takes jewellery and sells it a few times a year, they take a hefty commission I understand. I was talking about it to a jeweller last year as I was actually selling gold rather than actual jewellery and he said you'd do better in a pawn shop, apparently they do still exist! Now it was just casual conversation about jewellery in general while we were doing business but might be worth looking into.

The auctioneers are https://www.oreillysfineart.com/

• Advertisement

@phormium Thanks very much I will definitely check it out. Yeah see they charge 20% commission + 23% vat bit excessive alright. But something to consider I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

throw it up on adverts, pretend you are a jilted bride and post the private messages here.

😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

@benny79 hi there, I deal in jewellery a bit and pick up items at auction for customers of mine.

Generally speaking an item will make between a fifth to a quarter of its insurance valuation.

Most of the bidders are trade and know to the penny what they will bid for it but occasionally you get spirited bidding from joe public and that can result in a better return.

Have you considered ebay ?

No as I am not on ebay. but will stick it up on Adverts and donedeal this evening and see what happens might go to a pawn next week also. To be honest theres no way I could let it go for a fifth or a quarter of its valuation. If thats what it goes for I would rather keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I know what you mean but keeping it it's worthless and might as well be in the bin.

Might as well get what you can for it.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Best of luck @benny79 I forgot about done deal ( I'm uk based ) Hope you draw a decent wedge for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There’s a lot of superstition around second hand engagement rings so that’s partly why they sell for so little (as you’re already feeling yourself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Gamergurll

I know you said you don't have an account on ebay but I just wanted to chip in and say definitely don't try to sell it on there, ebay is full of buying scams and though the sale might go straight forward the general rule is 'don't sell what you can't afford to lose'.

Just wanted to give advice with that part you have had lots of good advice already but I hope it all goes well for you and you get a good price, I am an adult with huge self conscious issues thanks to my teeth and I am saving to get braces so it's lovely for your son to get done at a young age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Selling the ring will do your son some good so GLWS.

One thing to be aware of with jewellery is that the valuation from the jeweller and the price you achieve are going to be vastly different. The jeweller's valuation is a retail replacement price, and unfortunately is often far in excess of what's likely to be achieved in any 2nd hand sale.

If it's a diamond ring? Do you have the Diamond certs? For a 2nd hand sale they can make a difference in price achieved.

Cheers @Gamergurll Thats why I dont have an account on Ebay 😁 plus when I sell stuff I prefer to meet in person.

Yes so did I! I had nearly everything imaginable done with my teeth, braces for 3 years etc Even now ppl comment on my teeth and how nice they are yet I still so self conscious of them. I was on the HSE waiting list for years as a kid what a farce! and soon as I got a job I got them. Had years of bullying/slagging which didnt help. The price of Dental work is outrageous though which doesnt help.

No mate I never received them hence why I got it valued. To be honest Id be happy with 50% of the valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Just because that engagement didn't work out doesn't mean he has to take matters into his own hands, so to speak 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I sold my engagement and wedding ring when my marriage ended. It's a long time ago now so not sure if they still buy, but I went to Gray's on Johnson's Court (same row as Paul Sheeran, Appleby etc.).

As others have said, the price you'll get won't be anything near their valuation price, and unless the diamond is certified and you still have the certs, forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

(a)

The way I see it, 4000 is peanuts compared to a bad marriage.

(b)

Could you keep the ring for some future marriage ? Either you or child, relative ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Gamergurll

It's crazy money isn't it, I know people say go abroad but it's still a huge chunk of money. I was bullied over mine aswell and I'm in my 30s now so we'll past that teenage bullying stage but it always stuck with me and they are my major weak point, and the worst is when I save up the money I feel guilty for putting that much into my appearance and use it for other things 😂 The hse assessed me as a teen but wouldn't fix them and my parents couldn't afford to go private so here I am, it's nice that you can get it done for your son at the early stage and it's done with then,

Sorry to drag totally off topic! I'm not so good with the selling advice but just had to post and wish you luck! 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Keep it for your son. Or you might get use out of it in the future. Superstition is horseshit.

Advertisement