Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Torque to yield bolt, set angle with impact?

Options
  • 25-07-2022 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I need to replace the crankshaft pulley on my 1.8 TCDI engine. The spec for the bolt is 100NM + 100 degrees.

I can get the 100NM with the torque wrench easily enough, but there is a lot of give in the drive train when I try to do the angle. Even with a screw driver in the brake disk blocking it against the caliper, and the car in gear there is still too much flex to get to the 100 degrees.

Question - If I mark the socket at 0 degrees, and mark the block at 100 degrees, can I use my battery torque wrench (DeWalt 900NM one) to set the angle? The bolt itself is an M14 so I don't think I will snap it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

I might be mistaken,but I think you're playing with fire. Unless you have the crankshaft locking pin,you are going to lose the timing as I don't think there's a key in the crankshaft sprocket. Whatever you do make sure to spin the engine by hand before you try starting it.

That is the Ford engine & not the Peugeot engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Its the Ford 1.8 in a Galaxy. I don't have the locking kit for the car, but on others I would have been afraid to put the full torque on a locking pin. I had a lucky escape with a 1.5 DCI engine where the crank locking pin was bent by the torque required and almost didn't fit back out the hole!

I didn't think of no woodruff key on that engine though. Maybe I should invest in a flywheel locking tool?!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Looking at a repair video for changing the wet belt, it looks like the crank sprocket is indeed keyed to the crankshaft with a pin.

Which is good, because I had to put on a scrap part last week to get the car ready for holidays the next day! It would have been a bad "please explain" with the wife if I destroyed the engine in the process!

Advertisement