Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Auto top up valve

Options
  • 25-07-2022 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

would anyone have one of these, for auto topping up the pressure in the boiler, doesn't see be doing this job as it's about .5 bar now at the boiler

As it has a gauge, you would assume you could set the pressure to higher value, but even if you twist the black wheel, it never goes above .5 even if the boiler is off or on

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JamBur

is it filling and there is a large leak? what is the desired set pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I dont think its filling, over time the pressure has dropped down to .5 bar cold, other systems I have used would require topping up say every year or 2

I would presume this would top up as needed

Neighbours have a manual valve here, but presume ours was replaced by previous owner

I would be worried as to why they put in an auto top up, is it an open or closed system? Is the part on the right (the valve) open, or fully closed? (Im not a plumber)

not sure how to set the pressure, I presume 1 bar would be the desired base number, if the heating was on, the pressure there would go to .5 bar

• Advertisement

Sorry I cant help more, Im just curious myself about it

Wait, wait, wait, Is this not showing what pressure it will allow into the system? What pressure does the boiler show on its front guage?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is your water supply mains of own pump?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

its closed, I didn't put it in, otherwise I'd know how it worked 😁

• Advertisement

.5 is the base cold, it won't click on now as its too low

I assume the brass screw would adjust the pressure, but not sure in what way

If not kept closed (and only opened for rarely needed topping up) those can mask leaks in the system that will cause damage to your whole heating system .

Not to try and fix the pressure. If that valve is stuck and suddenly opens it can blow the safety valve on your boiler. That might not reseat properly and continue to drip. If you are not comfortable with having to get that sort of thing sorted then get in a plumber/rgii.

Make sure that none of the valves upstream of the valve are closed. Open the black knob by turning it anti-clockwise. Now go to the other side of the valve and slowly turn the spindle clockwise (perhaps give the valve a few taps of a screwdriver handle in case its stuck). If the gauge doesnt show a rise in pressure it might need to be replaced.

Whether the above works or doesn't, close off that black knob when finished.

thanks for the input, could the valve at the top be stopping it working? on the silver junction at the top

is it a left loose to open or is it if its inline its open perp its closed?

Id assume turning it even 1 or 2 turns from say closed would at least open it a decent amount

That silver valve looks to be 90% open. Inline with the valve is usually fully on. Right angle off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Open the black knob fully anticlockwise, slacken the locknut on the adjusting screw on the other side, very slowly turn the adjusting screw clockwise until pressure just starts to rise, incrementally keep adjusting until pressure 1bar, tighten the lockscrew, (preferably shut the balck isolating valve)

thanks, must be broken, was doing all the logical things with it

Advertisement