Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Isle Of Man

Options
  • 25-07-2022 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

This place is just between us and the UK mainland, but i always seem to forget about the place. I've never thought about taking a holiday there either tbh. Would people recommend i visit the place? What are the people like there? Do they see themselves as different to English people? What has the place got going for it, in terms of landmarks and attractions? I'd just love to hear peoples stories and opinions about the Isle Of Man.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Isle of Man.

Lovely place, very friendly,

not cheap, would go again.

Dont go during motorbike racing week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

What places there do you recommend to visit? I know Douglas is the main urban centre, but i'm sure there's more to the place than that!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

It’s a quirky kind of place, definitely worth a visit. Retro type public transport, steam train, electric hill train, horse drawn tram. Largest waterwheel in world. A revival of the most peculiar form of Gaelic there is with anglicised spelling. An array of little glens to explore on foot. People definitely see themselves as different from the English. I was there many decades back, in the 70s, and there was a local kind of underground movement “keep Man for the Manx” and English trying to buy up retirement property (& putting up prices on locals) would find a little fire had gutted the home before they moved in. A chef in my hotel from Northern Ireland was accused of working on behalf of this movement & (non fatal) poisoning the husband of an English lady sitting next to me; they had been just about to close the purchase of a house! Other than that it was always extremely law abiding, and known to have been rather severe on even mild indiscretions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The Ise of Man is not part of England or even the UK. They have their own language (Manx) there own Patron Saint, ( St Malacky who was from Offaly) They have thier own flag too. Calling them English is like Calling a welsh person English... it will annoy them.

I was there as a kid. Use to be a ferry there from Dublin. It is very small. The main town Douglas is about the size of Bray. There is a few other towns on the island but it is very small. Douglas is a bit of a dive tbh. I think its economy is tourism off shore banking and gambling companies like Paddypower are registered there and

Two other claims to fame is that they have the oldest parliament in the world and the Bee Gees were born there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

It's an interesting place. I got chatting to a woman on Thingwald day (their national day dating from Viking times) once. She was telling me how she moved to Northern Ireland in the 70s and went into the "wrong" bakery one day. They refused to serve her because she was British. That made her quite angry and she told them "I'm not British, I'm Manx!"

It's a tiny island but feels bigger than it is with lots of gorgeous scenery and quaint villages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Not the most exciting place I've ever been, would not go back. Tends to get bad weather.

Might be nice if you're after a quiet break. Good bus network. Peel and Ramsey are the other main towns on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its a principality of the UK..i don't know if they have their own passports or UK passports?

..during the commonwealth games they have their own team

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Douglas and Onchan are nice spots. I went for a drive with a friend around it and it's a gorgeous wee island.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,143 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I went looking at property online there a few years ago. It was cheaper than Dublin. I was wondering if it'd be possible to work remotely and still visit Dublin regularly.

I've never been. i tried to get friends interested in heading there for a long weekend but no-one was interested.

(Edit: just checked and the rental situation seems to be as bad there as Ireland. And property prices aren't that much better)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's not a Principality, it's a Crown Dependency. It's not part of the UK at all. The relationship is directly though the Crown, not any of the constituent countries of the UK.

They are issued with British Passports specific to the Isle of Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Quite Spot- used be a tourist mecca in the 1950s and 60s for people from the Liverpool/Manchester part of England but long since ceased due to Spain etc. Places like Douglas Promenade and Ramsey still have old world Hotels-B&Bs dated but nice and peaceful.

Tram to top of Snafell Mountain & walk around Mooragh Lake in Ramsey and a trip to Peel castle the highlight of a visit there 3/4 years ago. Its like going back in time a bit which suits me .

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭skaface

Lovely Island, pity u can only get there from Dublin by boat and air.. Im sure more would visit if u could fly from Cork or Shannon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I went for the TT once, definitely don't go around then if you're not specifically looking for some incredible racing as it's very crowded. If you're into bikes at all I'd recommend it 100%. Absolutely mad spectacle and very tense at times when news of crashes comes rolling in. Met Guy Martin, didn't understand a word but an experience I'd also recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Castletown is a beautiful spot as well.

You can get a ferry from Dublin. It's got an interesting history and plenty of little folk tales and superstitions which, when not on the island, sound absolutely silly, but when you're on the island itself you kinda go along with.

Nice people there, and it does feel a lot bigger than you would think. Very quaint. Manx GP is on the end of Aug, start of Sept but wouldn't be anywhere near as busy as the TT so you could go and still get a good feel for the place. I keep meaning to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,447 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like they will accept any form of Sterling notes but the Manx money you get back is pretty much as good as Monopoly money in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Kinda like Scottish notes.. Mate that's legal Tender. Think the former is forged more though. No issue it seems in the Uk with NI notes though ever. Bit of an odd one. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

It’s a boring s.hithole with a lot of inbreeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,447 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's crazy, should only be a single Bank Of England note across their entire areas. Lots of non mainstream retailers won't accept NIRL notes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chosen1

Most places in England won't take NI notes. I've had to take them to the bank to exchange them for Bank of England notes on a few occasions, but free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Not only have I had NI notes refused all over GB, but a bank in Wales refused to give me BoE notes in exchange for NI, told me I'd have to go to the foreign exchange and pay the punt conversion rate, ha !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Went years ago with my football team, met a bird named 'Cromwell'....don't get more English than that 🤣

Olivia Cromwell?😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Exactly. I worked in an ( of all places an (Irish) themed pub ) and regularly were asked to only accept BoE notes. I did accept them did the banking but most places wouldn't accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delboy85

I did a long weekend in The Isle of Man about 10/12 years ago. Had always been interested in visiting. I think it was over the August bank holiday weekend.

I found it a strange experience. Douglas seemed to be stuck in a time warp. It was like going back 20 years. As someone mentioned previously, it reminded me of Bray, but less salubrious! The whole place seemed dead (in what should've been peak tourist season). It just seemed like a place whose glory days were long, long gone.

Having said that, we did visit many other places on the island which were nice/interesting.

Would I go back or recommend it? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Great memories of the IOM. During the 70s it was the place to go. There were no foreign holidays so the IOM was a real treat, your friends would look on in envy if you were going there. The IOM steampacket from North Wall would be packed with Irish people travelling, That's one of the reasons why is dead now.

There was a great theme park in Onchan and I think it's still there. There was a boating area and a small go kart speedway.

During the 70s they did take punts. I remember my father fuming the year the stopped accepting punts and only deal in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The Irish Punt kept parity with Pound Sterling until March 1979. After that, because of the original Exchange Rate Mechanism, they fluctuated and that was the end of your 70s. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

In a lot of ways, the 70s ended that day - December 31st, 1979

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

That was the end of cheap marathon bars and fanta 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Manx Radio is easy to hear on medium wave 1368 kHz in parts of Ireland. They have some bilingual programmes in Manx and English. Manx spelling is strange to me, but anyone with Irish or Scots Gaelic could follow most of the spoken language. I detect a sort of Scouse and Lancashire twang in Manx speech in English. Listening to the local radio is a good way to gain an impression of what life is like, without having to visit.

https://www.manxradio.com/on-air/bob-carswell/

• Advertisement

watch the Movie Mindhorn set in the IOM it's a hoot!😝

Advertisement