Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Valve Rotation Direction

Options
  • 24-07-2022 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

I've been doing some work on the heating part of which includes adding some zoning valves for Heating and Hot water.

However the rotation direction of the valve doesn't match the rotation of the servo. As you can see in photos below on the valve body it rotates from perpendicular to the pipe in an anti clockwose direction. I'm not actually sure which is open/closed.

The servo however rotates from perdicular in a clockwise direction when viewed from above, in below pics it rotates anticlockwise but that is looking from below so it should be opposite. It is perpendicular when in the manual override open position and slanted when in auto or closed posistion.

Its a good while since I bought these, I can't remember if they were attached when I got them.

I can attach the servo to the valve if I put the both in perpendicluar to pipe posistiion but then if I try to move to override posistion it won't move.

You can see in picture below how when both are in rotated posistion they don't line up.

I have 2 valves with this issue and think I must just be missing something simple as I can't imagine I happened to get two valves that were somehow setup wrong.

Any advice, can anyone say what is the correct posistions and rotation directions for valve and servo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

What direction does the valve spindle move from closed to open when viewed from above (as is), does it come up against a stop in both the open and closed (1/4 turn?) positions?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Below are the two positions of the spindle. In them the flow is from left to right. That is as far as I can move the spindle with just my fingers, about 1/8th of a turn is all it does. I'm not actually sure which position is closed, I think it might be the top one.

Have you tried installing the actuator with the lever pulled across and in its retaining slot, ie in its open position, then turn the valve spindle so that the actuator fits on, then release the lever to close?.

Or does rotating the actuator 180deg make any difference? (probably won't fit the valve body then, though)

Yes, if I move the actuator to manual override I can put it on the valve. Then when I put it back to auto the spring starts to rotate the driving slot but it then stops after moving a small bit more or less just taking up the slack in between the pin and the slot fitting.

Actuator can only be fitted in one orientation.

Very strange, especially if they were one unit originally?, its not a mid position actuator by any chance?.

• Advertisement

Yeah was bought as part of a full 2 zone heating set, so two valve actuator sets and both are the same. No just two positions on actuator.

I'm just not sure which one is wrong the valve or the actuator, I might have to get another just to have a look at it to try figure it out.

I've tried googling but don't see enough detail in any pictures.

I,ve seen 10 to 15 deg as normal opening angle so would expect mid position valve spindle to move considerably more

Not sure about mid-position ones, both my valves and actuators are just 2 port ones.

There must be a standard across valves and actuators where when view from above flow left to right closed is a certain position and it rotates some set amount one way to open. Surely you can use any brand actuator with other brands of valve.

I'm pretty sure its my actuator that is wrong, I think the turning slot is off by 45 degrees. I'm half tempted to open it up, I'd day the gear can just be repositioned, just bit worried about springs going everywhere if I do, probably be weekend before I can get to shop to try have a look at another one. Thought someone might know what way it is meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

the brass valve body,turn the spindle so it’s facing across (doesn’t matter what way it is really)

Grab the actuator head,make sure the small brass screw is wound out.

Place the yellow actuator head on the brass valve body,make sure to keep your finger pressed on the black tab/button on the side.

Now slide the manual level over and it should pop on at some stage of you sliding it over

I can place the actuator on the valve.

If I set the valve pin so it perpendicular to the pipe and the actuator in manual mode, the actuator goes on. But the when I put actuator into auto mode as it tries to rotate back, in a clockwise direction viewed from above, the pin on the valve doesn't rotate as it only rotates anticlockwise from the perpendicular position.

• Advertisement

Here is the different positions as viewed from above, i.e. if I could look down though actuator when it is clipped on.

Title of thread I think is wrong, its not so much issue with rotation direction, more the initial position, one of them is out by 45 degrees.

Went to shop over weekend and had a look at a brand new one straight out of box and it was the same as mine, I'm a bit baffled.

The plumbing guy was off so will have to try go back to have a chat with him.

Or, if the actuator moved anticlockwise to close??

Advertisement