Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School Recommendations in Carlow

Options
  • 23-07-2022 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Sister looking to send her son to school in Carlow. Gaelcholaiste is not an option as he doesn't want to do everything in Irish

The Tech ( Or Tyndall college as it's now called) is very close to the house but she's heard some bad things about it.

Any Recommendations ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think your sister would do better to talk the various schools to see what best suits your nephew's strengths rather than relying on random internet posters who may be many years out of education! 🤣

The best school for one person's child may not suit another, so I'd strongly recommend she and he visit the various open nights and get a better sense of the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Tyndall is amazing. CBS is good. Leo's is 1000 girls in one buiding - make what you will of that. Pres I wouldn't put a dog into it, google it to find one example of what I mean. Gaelcholiaste as a good name also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Why don't you enlighten us? My daughter is in there and so far loves it. I have no association with the school at all but everyone I've spoken to speaks highly of it so would be curious as to what you're referring to. Hopefully it isn't that false media report from a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Once again, I strongly recommend that any parent/prospective parent talk directly with the school or with parents who have children in that school. Each child is an individual, what works for one, may not work for another. I'd recommend going to the school's open night and seeing how the school meets your child's specific needs.

I would hope by now that people have moved on from the entirely false and whipped up by social media allegations made against the Presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

My eldest went to the pres, and hated it, lots of bullying, inadequate policies to tackle bullying etc.

I myself attended the pres many years ago and thought it was ok, but back then you could deal with bullys with your fists and get away with it. Some teachers are just going through the motions there, but same can be said in a lot of schools.

My other children attend both the primary and secondary Irish schools and they like it. Bullying issue was sorted very quickly in secondary Irish school. But some teachers are shocking, along with *mod snip* who is useless I have found. Had to go direct to principal to sort issues.

*Mod Note : please don't single out individuals who can be easily identified.*

Post edited by byhookorbycrook on

• Advertisement
Advertisement