Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT issue. is this a locknut

Options
  • 23-07-2022 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

So car had a load of work done for the NCT. One job was a new track rod end (I think it's called). Parts supplies by macford.

Failed NCT due to lack of lock nut. They say it should have nylon at top. Took back to my mechanic and he swears it is the supplied nut and appropriate. Says nct does not recognise it as so, says I should complain.

Is this an appropriate lock nut folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

That's not a locknut, a locknut has plastic on the thread to stop it vibrating loose. The plastic is usually blue in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Doesn't obviously look like a locknut. The most common ones look like the one in the wiki link.

Whats it a locknut for?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

BTW that's a flanged nut and will not stop the nut vibrating loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

It came with the new track rod end.

Im unsure of the correct name. Tie rod end or track rod end. Anyway, here is a photo off the net.

• Advertisement

Just replace it with a locknut. I have done a few DIY track rod ends replacements and the nuts were always locknuts.

The locknuts normally come with the new track rods because you are supposed to replace them every time you undo them - the locking capabilities of the plastic ring is reduced if you reuse it.

We just changed it, but mechanic swears it is the supplied nut by macford and that the NCT is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

From the sixth pic it looks like a distorted thread locknut,but a poor one. The top 2 threads are closed in a small bit & grip on the stud. Use them only once.

Exactly what I thought but couldn't think of the name. The single mark on one side is what made me think of it, looks like it got stamped there to sightly deform the thread below so it locks. No way you can be sure of that now its been on and off.

So folks. Very interesting answers.

I went back to the NCT today and mentioned this info. Even though my mechanic took it off again and replaced it with a spare nylon older style lock nut.

The lads were fair enough and after checking it again, passed the car. Thank feck. If it wasn't done today, it's a full retest next

Thanks for the opinions and the reasonable lads in NCt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement