Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car from france

Options
  • 22-07-2022 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all Hoping for some guidance with this issue

planning on bringing a 30 year old car (1991 reg plate) to Ireland from France.

Are there any sites where I could learn how to do the process ?VRT should be 200 since its vintage but Im unsure about VAT ,does 23% still apply from France and other hidden fees like duty etc?

Im also wondering if theres any transport companies that handle the process and whether or not their worth it for an 8k 2nd hand car with 150,000km on it. I'd be putting it off the road when its home here and then working away on it myself to finish it off before insuring and driving it

Hoping France will be cheaper and try to avoid the costs from the UK (or is bringing in from UK not as bad as it sounds?)

sorry for long post but hoping someone has some help for me thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No one can tell if it is worth doing, very few restorations sell for more than the cost of resorting it. The majority of restorations are done for nostalgia and the big money sellers have usually had big money and/or time spent on them.

The only way you'd have VAT is if the odometer shows less than 6k km.

What's the car? For LHD it would need to be something popular if you want to make a profit. If you just want to restore a car get what you want and enjoy, some cars selling for huge money today you couldn't give away a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭PearSofter

hi oh yeah this wouldnt be to sell this would be to keep in the family and enjoy (1991 toyota) i just dont want to be hit with paying an extra 2 or 3k to get it in and registered is all

Post edited by PearSofter on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭User1998

Vintage UK cars are exempt from the 10% duty. So not as bad as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭PearSofter

thats good to hear actually the vat is still a pain but not impossible from uk then

Advertisement