Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The more I work the less I take home

Options
  • 21-07-2022 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I get paid by the hour in work. If we go over 8 hours we get time and a half etc, etc.

I worked 45 hours last week took home a certain amount of money and then the following week I worked 46 hours and took home €35 less.

I understand paying higher tax when you get in to higher bracket but how can ypy possibly work more and take home less?

Can anyone shed light on this before I p*** off my payroll department

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Have a look at your payslips first, stuff may have been applied in a subsequent week, and check tax codes etc are right. And don't be worried about talking to payroll. It's their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why would you piss off your payroll department by asking? It’s what they’re there for.

Without knowing your circumstances re. Tax credits, cumulative/ week 1/ emergency tax etc. there’s no way anyone here can answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You need to break down your payslip.

Prsi will increase.

Usc is on band basis and % so you may enter another band taxed at a different %

Your pension contribution will increase.

So compare payslips and see where the main difference is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

At a basic level there is no situation where working more hours will result in less pay. There will however be times where there are adjustments to your payslip due to credits, errors, Revenue etc. This would have happened anyway even if you had not worked the extra hours.

In addition the ability of payroll departments varies wildly depending on the company. I have seen absolutely awful payroll and often from the biggest companies (US MNCs). It beggars belief as it is a very simple process in the vast majority of cases.

Advertisement