Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edit

Options
  • 21-07-2022 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

edit

Post edited by sky is the limit on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

He had the chance to sort it without going through insurance instead he tried to run. I wouldn't be dealing with him for a second, it should all be done through insurance now. i wouldn't say you will get any compensation for lost wages or time

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sky is the limit

Yea I think your correct I’ll just let the insurance handle it now , however I don’t know who he’s insured with but I have his name phone number and email hopefully that’ll be enough.

Bingo.

If he thinks it's too high, then leave it to the insurance companies to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Augme

He will just deny he said it to you if you go to the guards. I'd just tell him if he feels the quote is too high the best approach is to do it though the insurance company, I'm sure he will.soften then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Garda who contacted the other driver should have demanded that he produce his insurance somewhere, did he not do that? Without his insurance, you may end up having to claim off your own (fully comp) policy.

If you have his insurance, you can deal with him on the basis that either he pays for the damage or you claim off his insurance. If you don't have his insurance, he can string you along and ultimately refuse to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Report it to to your own insurance company first and then take it from there.

I had a similar situation years ago - someone damaged my parked car and left the scene, but was seen by someone who knew them. I called to them and they admitted it was them, but then didn't cooperate at all. I reported the incident to my and their insurance company (details taken from their disc), but nothing could be done through insurance since they simply never responded to any communication, from anyone, not even their own insurance company. Their insurance company would not engage further as they had received no response from their client.

In the end, I had to take a civil case and get a court judgement for their insurance company to pay costs. The perp didn't even turn up at the hearing.

Go straight to the insurance route, you owe them nothing, they had a chance to be reasonable about it and they did not take it. Unfortunately I felt the same as you do about considerable stress and time lost, but you will get nothing for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

ha. That is a good one. So if you ever do anything, just stonewall everyone including your insurers and you will get away with it.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some insurers will take the non-response as an admission. Guy rear-ended my Dad's car some years ago and never responded to his insurers - they paid out after about six weeks and implied that they'd cancelled his policy.

Advertisement