Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it recommended to purchase Curry's "Care and Repair"? Any advantage over standard warranty?

Options
  • 20-07-2022 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

The laptop I'm going for lost its discount price at Currys.ie

But is still available at the reduced rate on Currys.co.uk.

On that website it gives the option for additional "care and repair" for 9 sterling monthly.

Just curious, is there any advantage to this?

I've heard Curry's customer care can be diabolical, but on this plan they have a "7 day guarantee" or they'll replace the product.

With the standard built in one year warranty, I understand it's dependent on the manufacturer how quick the problem gets managed? (could be weeks/months in some cases?)

Just curious does anyone have experience with the additional purchase protection, is it worth it or not to be bothered with?

In physics we trust....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Also unsure if the warranty in Northern Ireland applies to ROI Curry's stores also?

In physics we trust....

You won't like this response OP but it's the stark truth about these curry's extended warranties:

I did tech support in a callcentre for a company which manufactured Consumer devices for the UK home user market.

Some of these devices were sold by Curry's in their stores on the UK Mainland.

Here's the issue: When the 'End of Life', the point in time where tech support came to and end, together with spare parts, labour etc etc for this device the extended warranty provided by Curry's still had in some cases 2 years to go. After the manufacturer had ended tech support and repair services for the devices.

The company in question ended up still supporting these devices. And the end user got a repaired device, in the majority of cases. But very very messy.

So no, the extended warranty is not worth it.

Advertisement