Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Bike - Mechanic?

Options
  • 20-07-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I've just completed my IBT in last couple of months and reckon it's time to try to purchase something.

What's the protocol here for a private sale, I've bought cars in the past and would know a few mechanics who can check things out but I'm completely new/blind to the biking. I assume with a bike it's a little easier to spot problems than with a car?

Any advice welcome or if anyone knows of a mechanic that'll give one a look over in the Wicklow area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Congrats on the IBT,

What kind of bike are you looking at?

I bought my first bike privately with very little mechanical knowledge, I had researched the bike beforehand and the common issues they may have.

I just had a look over the Bodywork, Forks, Chain, Sprockets, brakes, electrics all worked and that was enough for me,

I had it serviced in a garage a few weeks after purchasing anyway so they gave it the once over too.

Depends really on the type of bike your looking at and the age,More modern bikes these days shouldn't have too many issues outside of general serviceable items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Thanks Robbie, considering a few so have a bit of a shortlist.

That sounds good, I was considering just going myself having watched every 'used buyer's guide' on YouTube.

As with buying a used car I tend to budget for getting a basic service after purchase anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

Do you know any other bikers that you could bring with you?

Even riding a few different bikes will feel strange, especially after doing your IBT you won't have much experience of how different bikes ride, handle, accelerate, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

If in doubt there are a lot of really good motorbike dealers who genuinely won't sell you a dud. they are all bikers themselves and while trying to make a living they won't want to see you hurt. They will cost a bit more than private. But likely require less attention after the sale. Explain to them that you are new and inexperienced. They will make sure the bike you get is safe and sound. They will probably service and check it over. When I bought my first bike it was serviced and new tyres put on it. Gives you great confidence. Too many times you hear someone services it themselves - and then you bring it into a mechanic and it needs stuff done that wasn't done right the first time.

I bought my first bike through cityspares and the guys were excellent. I hadn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Yep to be honest I'd need to bring someone as I wouldn't even have the confidence to test drive it myself, nor if I were in the sellers position would a let a learner test drive a bike I was selling. I think I may have found someone who's not a mechanic but has been in and around bikes for a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

to many people selling abused crap online and flogging it for a load of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

In the same boat, I feel your problem with picking a good one.

There are too many not-so-great (and probably overpriced) bikes on the market due to current circumstances.

Advertisement