Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car suggestions

Options
  • 20-07-2022 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,183 ✭✭✭✭

Suggestions would be appreciated. Daughter is looking for a replacement car, she is proposing to take a couple of days holiday to be able to car-hunt so needs a fairly clear idea of makes/types of vehicle she should be asking about, or asking agents to contact her about.

Looking for second hand with a budget of around 15k. Car she has is not much of a trade in so that is not important. Will probably keep the new car long term. No strong feelings on petrol or diesel, but probably not EV.

Mostly for use as a daily round trip of about 90 minutes to work, over moutain/country roads, + social. (approx 10k per year) Usually one person travelling, occasionally two. She wants something a bit higher and more substantial than the Jazz that she has (though it has done absolutely magnificent service), but not getting into large SUV types. More practical, reliable and comfortable than stylish.

Would have seriously considered a Dacia Duster but she was completely put off by the pedal layout.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Comments

If she wants to stay compact but needs a higher seating position I'd be looking at a Dacia Sandero Stepway, Renault Captur, Nissan Juke, Opel Mokka or a Hyundai IX20.

15k should easily land one of these with low mileage and good history.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,183 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you very much for that, very helpful, I will pass it on. Its Waterford/Clonmel area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Peugeot 2008 or a Fiat 500 X are also well worth looking at.

Mazda CX-3 also worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Renault Captur would have a similar pedal layout to the Duster and the driver's position feels cramped because the central console is rather wide and restricts leg room although overall it's the best car of those that you list. The Ford EcoSport Mk1 is another possibility. Looks ungainly but decent and reliable with a frugal diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any known issues with the Mazda CV-3 that i should be aware of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No major issues no. There was a few small niggles with some electrics not engine related and some have had the air con condenser fail after a year but nothing major and its rare.

It's a stylish well made car and as long as serviced and well looked after should be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Avoid the Peugeot 2008 as it's a cheap plastic, poorly build and the featured are badly implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

What did your daughter go for? I'm interested in the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm in similar situation. Second daughter has passed driving test and I'm on the look out for small economical car, 131 or newer with average mileage. Not automatic!

I've looked at some Yaris, Micras, Hyundai i10 cars, in order of preference. Any views on the Kia Picanto?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,183 ✭✭✭✭looksee

She bought a Hyundi i20, 2019. After a bit of rather vague wandering round garages we went into a Hyundi dealer who suggested this one, it had an impeccable record and they did a full service and all new tyres. She has been driving it for a month and is very pleased with it.

It quickly became obvious that looking at what was available was more fruitful than looking for a specific car.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement