Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Paper bag charge

• 19-07-2022 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if takeaways can charge for paper bags?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Yes that's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I suppose costs are climbing but it would make more sense to stick a percentage increase across the board rather than make it stand out like a charge on the bag. Out of interest how much extra was it, they should be passing it on at cost price and not profiteering on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

paper bags have soared in price, (doubled in price since 2020 as have all cardboard and paper products) so I suppose its a way of not applying the extra cost on people that don't need them. I presume its an extra bag that is not absolutely necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

no it's not an extra bag, it's a small paper carried bag for your food - 22c which is near enough what you pay for a plastic bag. States on the receipt that it's a bag levy - just another way of gouging customers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Vote with your feet or bring your own bag in future.

If people are willing to pay the amount they deserve everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 3 Owls in a Coat

Zara charge for bags also - I agree to a certain extent with it.

I have bundles of bags that I used to donate to charity shops who gladly took them off my hands.

Bags are also a way of advertising but when the OP mentioned that they chipper was charging for the bags I was imagining filling my duffle coat pockets with coleslaw chips in one and a burger in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

They charging for both the white inner bag and brown outer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Walk Away if this happens to you. Any charges should be just built into the price of the product or service unless it's a real levy...and a paper bag does not carry a levy.

This happened in a chipper in Kildare a couple of weeks ago. Chips, Chicken piece, curry sauce and a can I think was my order. It was €10 exactly for the order. I was asked if I wanted a bag and said yes....not wanting to carry the items separately around to the car. No charge was mentioned, or printed anywhere.

I was asked for €10.25. As I had only the €10 in my hand (cash), I asked was it not €10 for the food....and was informed there was a 25c bag levy. "That's for plastic bags" I said. "No, it's all carry bags" I was told. I wasn't going to be treated like a mug just because it's only 25c. I left the bag there, along with the food and took my tenner elsewhere.

Free Palestine from Hamas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭beachhead

There should be no levies on paper bags of any size but as stated above the business can do what they like.Poor form though.More gouging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not so as more and more folk are bringing their own bags...

It is better that the price of the bag is split out rather than just add it on at the product level

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 juligrat

Laws around this can differ by jurisdiction, but generally speaking, many places have started to charge for paper bags as a part of environmental conservation efforts. It encourages people to bring their own reusable bags, hence reducing waste.

If you're in the food business or even just a conscious consumer, you might want to look into other sustainable packaging solutions. Have you ever considered using Custom Reclosable Bags? You can find some great options at https://www.interplas.com/reclosable-bags/custom-reclosable-bags. They're durable and reusable, making them an eco-friendly choice. They can be customized to fit any business need, whether it's for storing food, utensils, or other takeaway items.

Post edited by juligrat on

Advertisement