Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitors

Options
  • 18-07-2022 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I'm wondering what monitors people are programming on these days.

I see a lot of blogs/videos talking about 43/48 inch 4k TVs as been the sweet spot for real estate on the screen and having enough pixel resolution.

Is anyone using a 4k tv?

You can get a 43 inch 4k tv from currys for < €400 so it seems quite attractive but just wondering if anyone found downsides with this setup vs a monitor.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Never used anything above 24" 1080p screen.

I figured if i got a higher resolution monitor, I'd just end up increasing text size in my IDE so I'd be able to fit the same amount of text as a 1080p screen!

I had a 16:10 aspect ratio monitor and loved it coz i found 16:9 screens weren't high enough. I found i could see a lot more code. I was even looking recently at the Huawei MateView which has a 3:2 aspect ratio so would have even more vertical real estate.

I don't think I'd go mad sizes like 43" unless it was for the sake of my eyes. Would much rather 2x24" monitors tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Talisman

I've been using a 24" monitor since 2009, the NEC MultiSync LCD 2490WUXi. It cost an absolute fortune at the time but it was great to be able to pivot the screen into a portrait display when viewing reams of code or reading documentation while coding. It's boxier than other displays but I can't ever see myself willfully giving it up.

I haven't tried one of the larger curved displays but I think I would be more comfortable with two 24" screens.

Advertisement