Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic TV Set Up

Options
  • 18-07-2022 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am looking to get rid of Sky Q and set the house up for basic tv in a few rooms. I currently have a Sky dish and two cables running from it to the living room. I also have 4 addition sets of twin coax cables run to 4 room (incl. living room) from the attic. The living room has 4 cables going to it in total.

We are in good view of the saorview transmission point so yesterday I installed a small indoor aerial in the attic and connected one of each of the twins cables to in and no I have saorview in each room. It worked well in two of the room but not so well in other. Also also I was moving the same tv around. This is what I used: https://www.oneforall.com/tv-antennas/sv-9430-amplified-indoor-tv-antenna#/step-1

My next step its to get either FTA or FreeSat in each room. I plan to replace the LNB on my dish with a SKY Q Hybrid 6 Way LNB.

https://douglastv.ie/product/sky-q-hybrid-6-way-lnb/

I would keep 2 cables from the LNB should I wish to go back to Sky Q in future then connect the other cable in each twin cable to the LNB.

My living room TV has a satalite tuner so that should be okay.

I have an old tv that is pre saorview, what's the best cheap combi box to get? Do any of them include android apps like a fire stick?

I don't need to record anywhere, rarely use it with Sky and I would have less sport.

Should I get a booster or a better aerial?

Is that the right LNB?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The LNB has 4 fixed legacy outputs and 2 fixed wideband outputs. Only 4 can be used with standard satellite tuners.

The new generation Freesat receivers can use the wideband feeds.

An option would be to use a multiswitch to feed multiple TV points combining the aerial feed on each output, splitting at the TV point.

I use one of these - https://www.freetv.ie/satellite/distribution/multi-switches/, the 5x16 one. It will work with the legacy outputs of the hybrid above.

Regarding the aerial, I would go with an outdoor aerial, might even work better in the attic than the one-for-all. Amplification only works if you can receive a decent signal initially, you can't amplify what's not there.

I can't recommend a combi receiver but there are other threads on these here, someone may be able to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lenovo1

Thanks for response. I don't funny understand the benefit of the multi switch, or what it does? What does it combine and split? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The idea of a multiswitch is that you connect the 4 legacy ports of the LNB to it as well as a feed from a conventional aerial. Each output of the multiswitch will then have access to the LNB and aerial. You don't need a separate aerial feed to each room, a simple splitter extracts the aerial feed from the satellite coax at the TV / box. The number of outlets on the multiswitch determines the number of rooms / TVs / boxes. Note, for recording a TV/box needs 2 satellite feeds so you can watch one while recording another.

Thanks, however given I have 4 outlets in my living room and 2 in the other 3 rooms I don't think i need to combine?

Can I record with just the one feed, once I don't change the channel? I don't think I have ever needed to record ad watch something else!

Will the 4 legacy outputs on the LNB suffice, if so no problem?

And yes you can record with one feed connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Hi Gerry,

If there is a just a single coaxial connection to a room what is needed as a splitter -is it a diplexer plate such as this or is there something better?

That's what you're looking for but go for the screened version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

You don't have a connection all the way back to the dish on those 10 cables.

The multiswitch will link up the dish and antenna connections to whatever ends need them at the time.

There are other ways of getting the signal around the house once you get it into one receiver,

but a multiswitch solution would work pretty well for your existing wiring.

I have 4 cables just by the outlet to the dish. Easy enough to connect I think. Multiswitch seems expensive.

Oh. What's a receiver? Sorry!

Advertisement