Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should network cables chases use the same zones as electrical?

Options
  • 16-07-2022 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Wasn't sure if this is better in DIY or electrical

I'm looking to put in some Ethernet cables around the house and want to chase the conduit for them in the home office that is currently being renovated, and do similar to other rooms in the future.

Should these use the same zones as electrical cables? I know they need to be placed far enough away to prevent interference. Originally I was thinking the zones were specific to electrical cables, now I'm thinking it's to ensure any fittings aren't nailed through either pipes or cables.

I was going to go down and then horizontal

Chase to the corner and then around

Then horizontal with a line up to another network socket point

Then continue to next corner with to go through the wall and into the closet under the stairs where I'll to have all other cables finish as well.

Or should these be going up to the ceiling and across? And then down to the exit point into the closet? Stairs above the closet so can't go out at ceiling height

There will be another double electrical socket at the same height as the second network socket going in later and it is horizontal from an existing socket that it'll have to be connected via which is why I was assuming I couldn't just go straight horizontal.

I assumed this wouldn't pose the same risk of someone pierces the conduit as it'll be ethernet cable rather than electric, but still I'd like to check that I'm not doing something stupid.

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

50 mm was the way I used to do it that's for the drops

On runs then you'd allow a foot spacing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rather than cutting “access holes” in the ceiling perhaps you could simply lift the floor above?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

50mm is the cut depth? Using 20mm ducting in case I decide to add a second port to the socket, does that need to be deeper. Do you mean allow a foot spacing from the ceiling or the floor or from the socket height?

Sorry not quite used to this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You should avoid horizontal chasing for anything other than a very short distance. Vertical chases is the way to go.

I would avoid having power and Ethernet sharing the same conduit. I would keep power and Ethernet at least 2” apart. Avoid crossing as much as possible and when you have to have it at right angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I meant a foot spacing on main cabling runs between mains and data cabling and 50mm spacing between conduit drops

That would be a standard spacing

So there should be a couple of access holes cut into the ceiling for doing cable runs? I was planning to avoid that but sounds like there is really no way. Since some units are going to the ceiling I guess I could cut somewhere that will be hidden afterwards.

Though looking at the existing mess or electrical wires near where I want the second socket I think I may need to stop and let an electrician to sort those out first (and maybe this as well). There is another double socket along the wall out of picture to the left.

As it's not clear to me where those will need to be placed to be run properly. The cable was on top of the old skirting and behind the previous units. Access to the understairs is through the wall on the left. So presumably the second network socket can just be put there with a hole directly through the wall. It's where do the electric sockets all need to be changed to have cables run from drops or will there be horizontal chases that the network socket would need to avoid.

Thanks I'll put the DIY on hold and get someone to look at what's happening with the electricals first.

Is a low roof extension attic above, while there is some access, one side of the room is the exterior and is very difficult to reach even crawling around the attic space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I have often brought cables outside and drilled a 13 mm hole through the wall to back of point to connection socket. Underneath the plinth or soffit. White cable unseen.

Not for Electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

can you not run the Cat5 behind the skirting board?

@eusap if there was just skirting board between the two points that would have been the way to go, however there will be fixed units put in place so any problems with the cable after install requiring replacement will likely fail as I can't see it being possible to pull a new cable through without being in conduit and I'd suspect would need to do a horizontal chase to be able to fit conduit behind.

I went with the vertical drops and crawling around in the attic, since the room is being completely redone the dust and debris at this point is less of an issue and I needed to do a couple of drops/runs for electrical cables as well to leave them in place for when I can get my usual electrican to call and hook them up. They are in conduits as well so he can pull the cable (I hope) and replace if there is an issue, or even if just needs more cable above to wire up. Figured 2 more drops on top of 2 for electrical wasn't the worse.

Definitely be using the idea of behind skirting and coving for any other rooms not being completely gutted first as there is some coving in the sitting room/hallway that I can use for the network cable from the internet router coming to go as far as the hub room under the stairs.

Advertisement