Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will FG move to remove Leo Varadkar as their leader?

Options
  • 15-07-2022 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭

Even the most ardent supporter of FG cannot disguise the fact that Varadkar has been a total disaster as their leader. Yesterday's (14th July 2022) Irish Times/IPSOS poll placing FG on 18% has them in their worst polling position since 1994 which must leave many FG TDs/senators/councillors very nervous indeed. This all comes after Varadkar lead FG to their worst general election result (in terms of percentage first preference votes) since 1948.

The only person who has received political promotion under Varadkar has been Helen McEntee. Others have either lost their jobs, their seats and those on the backbenches will never get a sniff of ministerial office if Varadkar is allowed to lead FG into the next general election.

In the past Varadkar himself called on Taoiseach Enda Kenny to set out a timetable for his departure as FG leader at a time when FG were polling much higher. Well now the shoe is on the other foot.

Varadkar is a poor political leader - a style over substance spoofer, a divider and not a uniter - and he has been a terrible holder of every ministerial office he has been handed.

So when will FG move to remove Leo Varadkar as their leader?

Should they do so before 15th December 2022 when the next taoiseach is a FG taoiseach?

Or will they let Varadkar run them entirely into the abyss at the next general election?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dunno

It's definitely going to happen, on the thirty first of April next year, just after afternoon tea and scones. So mark it in your diary and remember who told you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

When is he getting his fancy eu job?

Varadkar is going nowhere anytime soon.

He is desperate for the last 2-years of his premiership, then will head off into the sunset. The visit over to the US at Paddy's Day is the equivalent of Christmas Day for Taoisigh.

I don't like him. I think he's a massive narcissist. But he ain't going to go anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I sincerely hope he hangs in there for another couple of years. He'll end up doing to FG what Joan did to Labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,918 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Doesn't matter who leads them, they have been in governance far too long and when that happens they suffer in the opinion polls, a stint in opposition is normally what is then required.

Coveney will be the next leader but he has the personality of a wet tea towel, the heave to change leadership will come in the run up to the next GE when candidates are in mortal danger of losing there seats.

Personally I think SF have got ahead of themselves and think they are playing with more cards then they have.

God only knows what the next make up of the government will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I would have been inclined to agree with this but 18% is a new low for FG under Varadkar and must be giving them something to think about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hopefully not before himself and Sunak sits down with the DUP…. If only for the sake of the photo call :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Varadkar won't be going anywhere till we are a few months out from an election or after the election. What FG are hoping for is that when he takes over as Taoiseach at the end of the year that they start getting some good news out there and look to change the way things are going at the moment. Fortunately for Varadkar, his own party, FF and the Greens do not want an election now as all parties would be decimated going on the current polls so this will see the 3 parties sticking it out till the end. I am sure they will be a bit sniping and backstabbing going on like we saw Varadkar do at the start of this government were he took every opportunity to undermine Martin.

I think it will be Martin who will be gone before Varadkar.

I'm not a fan of Varadkar, but I think the massive surge in Sinn Fein support would be happening right now, regardless of who was in charge of the other parties. I dont think he's doing the worst job as a leader.

Similar issues are happening across the western world. Populists are becoming more and more popular as the electorate are becoming reliant on Social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CarProblem

"Varadkar is a poor political leader - a style over substance spoofer, a divider and not a uniter - and he has been a terrible holder of every ministerial office he has been handed."

Completely agree - but add untrustworthy snake to the list as well. One never knows what's happening behind closed doors but I simply can't believe there's not been a move against him or at least more mutterings of discontent

Next leader? Who knows - Coveney dirtied his bib with Zappone-gate and while I'm not a fan of the laughably nicknamed Prudent Paschal (has anyone actually looked at our debt/expenditure/personal taxation levels??) I've heard (no idea if true?) Paschal Donohoe has no leadership aspirations. The media is bigging up the hapless Helen McEntee but who really knows

Unless the party can stop trying to appease the left/woke cohort which will never vote FG anyhow while alienating its traditional base it doesn't matter who's leader IMO

FG anyhow while alienating its traditional base it doesn't matter who's leader IMO

Time has taken care of their traditional base.

Holding hands with the Bishop is no longer a vote getter.

The Phoenix magazine did run an article stating that it is believed he has his eye on a senior EU post and perhaps even the President of the Commission itself. As an aside rumours are that Micheal Martin wants to take over from Michael D as president.

They're lining up their next jobs for sure and will dump their own parties on the same scrap heap they're dumping the Irish people on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Don't forget Harris as well is being touted as a leader. Out of all of them Coveney is probably the best placed to take over as the party leader. I know he didn't cover himself in glory in the Zappone fiasco but if comes to down to a choice between Coveney, Harris and McEntee (I am leaving Donohue out because he said he doesn't want to be leader) you would have to assume that Coveney would be best of those. Then again as well seen in the last FG leadership contest what the grass roots want does not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Allinall

They're lining up their next jobs for sure and will dump their own parties on the same scrap heap they're dumping the Irish people on

Does this mean you want him to stay?

Can’t wait for the next leader of FG, just so the experts can tell us how useless he/ she is.

The longer he stays the more seats FG will lose. Their situation is beyond hope in a very similar way it was with the tories and Boris Johnson. But the tories can spot a political loser a mile off as any sign that their leader is not going to win a general election and they'll get rid of them.

FG less so. They'll keep LV until the resulting electoral disaster is right on them.

I don't think you need to read an article in the Phoenix confirming Leo's aspirations. He is climbing that ladder one rung at a time, he looks just plain bored the past 18 months.

As for MM he won't be long off retirement age around the next GE, can see him sitting on few boards riding out his retirement in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Wasn't Bertie lined up for an EU job about 10 times over the years in the media. It's handy filler for the days when not much is happening.

"(Insert politician name) believe to be in running for a job in the European commission."

See, I can journalist too.

I don't recall anyone ever stating Bertie was being lined up for an EU job.

Bertie was always interested in becoming president until the 2008 economic crash ended that dream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭growleaves

You ghoul.

Plenty of right-of-centre people in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Who cares?

There isnt a single spoofer in the Dáil that I would trust to run an ice cream van let alone a country, he'll just be replaced by the next bobblehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Pathcal is 100% waiting for the perfect EU job.

His eurogroup presidency finishes early next year.

Do a head count the next time you are at mass and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ghoul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Isn't it great that we have a new thread about Leo. After all the other one completely lost credibility when he was cleared of all charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Nail! Hanner! Head! The other fg potential " leaders" are a farce, a joke of the highest order. Like your post says , fg need a non apologist leader to stand up for their core voters, the hard workers. Ffg now biggest preoccupation is with welfare claimants, they have thrown workers under the Bus. Absolutely spineless, worried rte will grill them about " da vulneable " I am delighted that the cowardice and pathetic politics, is reaping the political fallout!

The problem with our weasel politicians is, they want to run with the hare and chase with the hound!

Lovely.

But it's not my opinion.

Their average age is just over 70 and Vatican rules require them to offer their resignations at 75 (in practice, many are staying on much longer). Most worryingly of all, 34 Dublin priests have died since the Covid pandemic began in early 2020 and only one has been ordained

Mass is well on it's way to becoming virtual.

Those numbers don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

In to discuss discussing Leo again.

Such as? They didn't pursue it as a criminal case and he confessed to it. He wasn't cleared of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is not a site for political campaigns

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement