Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here had Shingles? It's evil.

Options
  • 13-07-2022 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

I know this AH but I'm not looking for medical opinions. This condition is absolute torture. 3 weeks now constant headaches, no sleep, no energy, eye can't function. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Any funny stories about how to deal with it? Get pissed maybe to help me pass out for a few hours😀

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I've had it twice in my lifetime.

Was mostly just an itchty rash which goes around your upper torso.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what causes it?? - severe stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had it once a good few years ago and while it was annoyingly itchy I don't recall being in any great pain. I remember at the time the only treatment that was available to me was an electrical stimulation machine where I attached electrodes on my front and back for a short time each day. Seemed to help.

I should add that if you get it anywhere near your face it can be quite serious causing partial paralysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had my kids vaccinated for varicella. It ain’t a nice virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I had a very mild dose of it. Didn't know what was happening at the start, thought i had burned myself unknowingly. Was feeling a bit tired for a few days and the rash was annoying but it cleared up quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

I had it in my Mickey bad dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's chichen pox from when ur a kid returning as an adult. Apparently the pox virus stays in the body for life and re appears as shingles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I have it in my eye. Headaches will last for up to 5 ur 6 weeks doc says.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I've had it twice, not nice, I was nearly over it when I went to the doctor in my 20s but I wasn't too sick with it, I got it again in my late 30s and it knock shìt out of me for a week or 10 days, I've a patch on my back where the rash was and it's like the nerves were damaged, that part of my back feels different to the rest

Yes, I've got some white marks on my side where the rash was, no nerve damage though thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Christ I thought chickenpox stopped you getting shingles

I remember we all had chickenpox as kids

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Scabies > Shingles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Seen it affect some older relatives.

My mother got away relatively lightly, but an Aunt of my wife's sustained bad nerve damage from it and was left in chronic pain and reduced mobility and sensation in one arm. It can be a terrible auld infection that can cause devastating after-effects.

I always confuse the shingles with the Seychelles - which reminds me, must hook a winter break

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

I had what I think was a mild dose a few years ago. Not much of a rash, but it felt like I was being burnt at times, and I have some little scars from it. The low energy was the worst part for me, I was useless. Got back to work after a week or so but took a good while, months probably, to bounce back to my normal self.

Advice wise I'm sure you've heard it all before... rest, relax, stay hydrated, eat regularly and healthily as much as possible, limit sugar, caffeine, alcohol, take painkillers at bedtime to help you sleep.

Have you been to a doc? Constant headaches for 3 weeks I would be going to dr about.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Denny61

My mother had it top of forehead and down close to her eye for 3 years before she died ..in auful pain at times .and crying .we tried everything it was caught too late so she bad nerve damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

Are you sure it isn't Monkeypox?!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Daughter is a practice nurse and has ordered vaccines for wife & me. Expensive (€170 ish each) but peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

Got a dose of it years ago. I went to the Doctor for a Cert as I could not walk, but advised by people not to bother with a perscription. I was sent to quack who proceeded to cut himself and then placed his blood on the blisters. Cleared the things in a couple of days I got them again about three years ago, but the quack had died in the meantime, so had to take the medical route with tablets. Again cleared up in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A decade ago I noticed I had a small sore enough small lump on my head. I though I banged my head. Over the next few days I got more lumps on my head, forehead and eyelid.

It never clicked with us it shingles. Dr said it right away.

He gave me tablets and a cream.

it cleared up fairly fast but I couldn't use the cream because it burnt like hell when I used it.(So, I didn't use it)

It was a bit painful but not to much. The one on my eye lid was the worst.

I've heard of a mix of reasons why they are caused.

I was always told shingles were awful but I didn't find them to bad.

For some reason why the weather goes cold in October/November It feels like I'm pricked with needles in the spots where I had the shingles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember getting chickenpox quite late at the age of 25. When the spots cleared up after about 2 weeks I started getting an absolutely horrendous nerve pain down my left arm. I'm not 100% sure is was actual shingles but I remember it was dreadful. It was like as if I got a dead arm after being hit in the shoulder with a sledgehammer, that's the only way I could describe it. I was eating the Nurofen tablets like Smarties to try and numb the pain. I never want to get pain like that ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I had it after my second covid vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Got it twice too. Late teens around my waist and still have the scars. Was very painful. Nerves were very sensitive and the area would feel sore for years afterwards if I was tired. Second time it was less painful. My husband got it and got some prescription which cleared it in days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

I had it twice, 30 odd yrs ago and about 20 yrs, second time to me imo was just a reactivation of the first. Had it in my throat inside and mouth, up side of face, skirted side of eye and on into scalp. First time extremely painful, couldn't eat, only that I had a small baby to mind doc would have sent me to hospital for drip.

Second time was more in my face and caused numbness rather than pain but awful odd sensation and I got the drugs early for that one.

There is obviously nerve damage as I regularly get nasty sensations across my cheek/nose from it. My cheek feels cold and damp even though it's not and there is a needle type pricking sensation when it flares, feels a bit like nettle stings all across my cheek, face pain, teeth pain, headache but in forehead rather than actually in my head. Flares up several times a year, long Shingles as I call it! I hated the masks with a vengence as even the slight pressure of it set off a flare up. Unfortunately now that I am older and need glasses for reading I find I cannot wear them other than for very short lengths of time as the pressure on my nose sets off pain as well. I have bought 3 different pairs over past few years and none are comfortable.

I was prescribed a drug for the nerve pain years ago as it's quite bad to be honest but the side effects of drug were worse in my opinion, made mess of my memory and I honestly don't think it ever fully recovered! I weaned myself off it when I realised one day in work that I couldn't even remember the name I had just read on my work diary for an appointment by the time I had walked to the door to welcome the customer!

So all in all it's not a nice dose!

• Advertisement
Advertisement