Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring doorbell

Options
  • 13-07-2022 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking for a Ring doorbell, and I'm a bit confused looking at the options! It'll be installed in a new house, which has a wired doorbell with the small round black chime box.

• Will it work with the chime that is already in place?
    • The current doorbell is wired, so was thinking of going wired. Can all of the Ring range do wired connections?
    • Any recommendations out of the current range?
    • The current doorbell is quite low, what height is best of the Ring doorbells?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jonnybangbang

Hi Dellboy.

i don't know if i'm the best to give you advice but I installed the Ring Video Doorbell wired by amazon about 3 years ago and the door bell cost me about €40 ( it was on sale). I used it to replace a pre installed doorbell.

• Will it work with the chime that is already in place? I don't think so, you get a jumper cable to bypass the chimebox. I just took mine out completely but it means i will need to replace it if i ever move home. I get notifications on my mobile phone and on 3 echo's i have around the house. To see video, i can look on my mobile or use computer but if you wanted it to automatically switch to video mode when door bell is pressed you will need and Amazon Show or firestick. You can also purchase a plug in Ring chime box separately ( works over wifi) if you don't have any smart home assistants currently.
    • The current doorbell is wired, so was thinking of going wired. Can all of the Ring range do wired connections? Not all of them. Some have a battery which needs to be replaced or charged periodically. Some are wired only, and some have the option of both. The one I mentioned above is wired only and uses the wires from previous door bell for power but I did have to change the Transformer in my fuse box as the existing one installed was 5v and it needs a little more power. I bouth the transformer myself and I got an electrician to change it. cost me about 60euro and took 10 min to do. The transformer i got was Navaris Door Bell Transformer 8V 12V 24V - for Wired Doorbell Chimes
    • Any recommendations out of the current range? - That would be your own personal choice, I can recommend the Ring Video Doorbell wired by amazon as I haven't had any issues with it since its been installed.
    • The current doorbell is quite low, what height is best of the Ring doorbells? - Again this is your own personal preference, just remember that you may be limited with the cables that are already installed.. if you were to move it anywhere else you will need to extend these cables and cable manage it. ( that is if you go with a wired solution). if you go with a batter operated one, it will give you a bit more freedom in placement but you will need to charge/change batteries periodically and you could lose power if not done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Martinamc

I got one of these ring video wired doorbells, I’m finding it hard to find instructions or videos online on how to install , as my chime box in my hall has more than 2 wires. Please any info would be great. TIA

Advertisement