Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options
  • 13-07-2022 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

there was a thread here like the title says and it was very popular and so enjoyable. This is a try to get one going again. Unfortunately (or better: not unfortunately??..🤣) I don't have a good story at the moment, but maybe others have?? Just let us know😀

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I had a neighbour from Cavan who would eat his dinner in a drawer incase someone knocked on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mid '90s here.

A house mate of min borrowed my Nirvana Unplugged in New York tape and lost it.

He replaced it by buying one of those bootleg ones on O'Connell Bridge.

He owed me £20, so he bought me a carton of cigarettes duty free while on the way back from the UK.

It cost him £10 then claimed his debt was clear because the same volume of cigarettes would have cost me £20 if I bought them in Ireland.

He rented out his room while he was Inter Railing for 3 weeks.

He was from Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Got chatting to a chap in an A&E department a few years ago, had a head wound, wrapped in bandages, said it wasn't to serious, could have been far, far worse.

I asked how so 🤔

He'd been rummaging in his pocket for loose change, suddenly a 5 cent coin fell from his pocket, he bent down instinctively, to catch it, the coin hit him on the back of his head.

Wow, I exclaimed, but how could it have been worse I enquired 🤔

Coin almost went into a water drain he said 😉

A & E was in Cavan General Hospital 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I saw a drunk guy going around Grafton street chatting with homeless people and taking a few euro from their cups!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Pfff, I’m not just giving away my stingiest story.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BarneyJ

Vending machine malfunctioned one time in the office I used to work in. Started giving out cans for free. Stingy co-worker finds out about it and cleans the machine out of cans of Coca-Cola without having to spend a cent on them. Stashes them all at his desk. The office also happened to have a coca-cola addict who needed his 3/4 cans a day of Coke. Coca-Cola addict arrives at the Vending machine to discover to his dismay that there were no cans left. He soon discovered where all the cans went to and made his way to the desk of the stingy co-worker. Stingy co-worker insisted on payment before releasing any cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The worst I've seen with stingyness was during a previous long career in hospitality, it was the Coach Tour Brigade, we called them the Piss Stop Brigade. They'd pull up, bail into the Toilets, grab tables and order the cheapest items from the menu's or nothing at all but Tap water and sit taking up space for an hour yapping about how wonderful the location was, having only seen inside a cubicle.

If they actually ordered anything, they'd Literally share Bowls of Soup, request extra straws with a minerals ,, order Hot water and plonk their hidden Tea bags or coffee in. I've actually seen 4 aulwan"s ask for sambo"s and scones to be cut in 4. I know a number of Tourist towns banned coach tours, it was more cost effective to tell them move on and not stop, the only thing they'd spend was a penny in the nearest bog.

Some cheap tourists I've come across probably use forks in their sugar bowls at home.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I know a person who offered to make a big dinner for family around Christmas time.

Upon arriving, they were asked for €50 to cover the costs of their food....

My mate paid, but if it were me, I'd have left them with the oul upper decker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fella who I worked with, would come in on a Monday and remember whose turn it was from the previous week to put xx cent in the machine to get the tea or coffee… “ I got the last one Friday, Jim, it’s your shout now” Probably 50 cent or whatever I don’t remember exactly but cents.

Same lad he was stealing pens, highlighters, photocopying paper, folders and refill pads, when caught and challenged… he was dismissive and arrogant and it was due to him having 3 kids in school etc and we were to essentially fûck off mind our own business.

in the end the boss got fed up but instead of investigation and discipline the stationery cabinet was locked and you had to ask the supervisor if you wanted a pen, stapler, highlighter, refill pad…like being back in school all because the stinge bag was teflon….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Unwrapping two ply toilet roll to make 'twice' as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Saw a person taking a KFC mineral cup out of the recycling bin and getting a free fill of coke and walk of drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

I've seen an auld lad put cranberry sauce on a scone at a function 'not to let it go to waste'.

If seeing a few older men steal soap bars out of public toilets in the 80s.

A neighbour used buy a 1.5 litre bottle of orange in a local pub and divide it between himself the wife and 3 children rather than single glasses.

It's much better value he told my father.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Didn't witness this personally but years ago a friend of my dad's went to buy a couple of chocolate bars or somesuch off a notoriously tightfisted local shopkeeper. He was a penny short in change so yer man took a 20 quid off him...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I sold a few bits to get rid of them

Some guy messaged me saying he needed an item urgently because of his health he then replied it was too expensive he'd do without

Some other miserable fukkers taking away free safety equipment that's not even working to protect their property too tight to buy working equipment

Ryanair charge their employees €9.00 a month to park at their head office. Not a lot I know but when you consider there are hundreds of people working there with cars and they own the building and carpark. Shameful stinginess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That would usually be to manage capacity when there is less spaces than cars (and not sure if that's the case for Ryanair, but €9 is so cheap for a month of parking and if it's near the airport, it may be to prevent abuse).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Rather than call a licensed company to empty his overloaded septic tank my neighbour got a farmer to empty it with a slurry tanker one rainy day. As if that wasn't bad enough he then got him to spread it over the back garden saying that the rain would wash it in. Apparently the lawn was strewn with bog roll and it stayed there for weeks when it dried.

My aunt tried to have my grandfather cremated close to the hosptial he died in, rather than where he wanted to be. Wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread where my grandmother is. He set aside all the money for it and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Not stingy, but something I did when I was broke (that I saw someone else do)

Bought a 10 ride ticket for the commuter rail for my weekly commute…..the train had a conductor and he’d punch your ticket

Anyways, the trick was to see if you could retrieve the punched “chad” from the floor of the train and re-insert it in the ticket (like the hanging chads in the Florida election of 2000)

Then play dumb the following morning and pretend you’re asleep when he comes around, with the ticket placed in the holder on the seat in front of you

Worked probably 1/3 of the time

The car park is never full and it is in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'd argue moaning over having to pay €9 per month for car storage for 5 days per week is in fact stingy. If staff don't like it they could park somewhere else, get the bus, taxi, walk or cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

That's quite common I believe... not the garden part of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Now, one mans stingy is another mans careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

A guy I know lives on North Circular Road, he is a total stinge.

Buys frozen fish in breadcrumbs, because its cheaper. He then spends an hour hacking off all the breadcrumbs, so he has fish fillets.

He also ties a plastic bag around his entrance gate, to stop unwanted callers and junk mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Worst part is I saw him getting a bite to eat later and he paid with a card, just walking around taking a couple euro for no reason.

• Advertisement

Yes, 9 euro is nothing over a month, but you're missing the point, any employer that charges their employees for parking when they own the carpark which I'd argue costs little or nothing to run is stingy in my opinion. Especially the you consider who it it, Ryanair are notoriously stingy with their employees. If you need a pen you have to go to the person who has the key where all the stationery is locked up for just one example of how cheap they are.

Advertisement