Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Drinking in Restaurants

Options
  • 12-07-2022 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

Like my meals out now and again , the missus doesnt drink and i seldom do after drinking too much for many years .

Really get the feeling in many restaurants that if you dont want wine etc you drop to a second class customer straight away ?? obviously they'll make less out of me but i would have a soft drink and tea just to buy some drink. anyone else feel the same ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Non drinker myself, I never validated myself on what I have as a refreshment on an evening out. I don't care what they think, as a lot of drinking can be messy. I'm sure when a group of non drinker's dine out, sometimes it's easier for the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I eat out regularly all over Dublin city and can't say I've ever felt this once when not drinking.

Might be a bit of paranoia?

Well with a bottle of wine in a restaurant being up to or sometimes more than 2 and 1/2 times the price that it's available in an off-licence they are missing out on a massive chunk of easy markup there to keep their business going. Particularly on more expensive wines.

That's why you often see restaurants sourcing wines not available in the off-licences in Ireland so people can't compare as easily.

So you're "depriving" them of easy money.

It's a real thing for sure.

For the same reason that when you do buy a bottle of wine some waiter bastard who you can never find when you actually want more bread or whatever appears out of nowhere to keep pouring your bottle of wine out as quickly as possible towards a state of emptiness in the hope that you'll get a second bottle, or a third etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭Xander10

fleetingly in the past I may have felt this way but no longer. The mark up on soft drinks and bottled water is big enough.

Plus if I just want tap water I am happy to order same. Again I am often paying a premium on the food for the overall service.

The only exception, might be going to a "wine bar & bistro" which has wine to the front and I would order at least a glass of wine. My OH is pretty much a non drinker and happily has a diet coke or a mocktail on the odd occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I usually have to drive home after so phuq what they think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's mad, where do you live? I frequently drink while dining and frequently don't drink when dining and I've never ever felt disapproval from staff. I work for a good few restaurants and I can guarantee you, your waiter doesn't give a crap what you drink.

if the tip is going to be a % of the bill, yes the waiter does care.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, fair enough, a service charge on a percentage will make a difference. I've still never experienced a shift in attitude when it comes to not drinking when dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I go for dinner regularly with my family and or boyfriend in Dublin and we'd only drink wine maybe half of those occassions and I can't say I ever felt even slightly different treatment between them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Interesting responses , maybe its all paranoia but for parts of my life i was a functioning alcoholic where as at this stage id have a drink 2/3 times a year but that would be in a pub setting .

I like a nice meal and when im not buying wine i can afford to eat out more, probably spending the same money each year but eating out more with no alcohol, to be honest i do be buying coca cola or orange for the sake of ordering something but tap water would do me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I don't drink a huge amount at all & often don't have a drink when out. Never once felt that I was being treated differently for not having an alcoholic drink when out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Everybody knows restaurants have big mark ups on the wine. No secret. Also you're paying for their service, the glasses, storage, and also for drinking in their premises so why would you expect it to be the same price as an off-licence.

Topping up your glass is also good service.

Either never had an difference in service in any restaurant between ordering and not ordering wine. Most staff wouldn't care less, they just do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

If you ask your mommy for a cuddle maybe it will all be ok again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Most waiters won't care if you have a drink or not. But I can guarantee most waiters will hate you if you drink too much. People get loud, obnoxious, and believe themselves to be the center of attention and the only ones deserving of attention. They usually ruin a good dinner for the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If a waiter gives bad service because they think the tip will be less because someone is not drinking they are right as they'll get no tip, we're not the USA so they don't rely on tips to make a wage so the tip is for good service.

Advertisement