Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you share a dish between 2 houses?

• 12-07-2022 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

My dish is broken, I think it's the lnb. I'll fix eventually, but was wondering if it's safe to connect my cables to my next door neighbour's dish? It's my father in law, so no issues in that sense, and the dish is about 2 feet from mine. I was just wondering if there's any technical risk in doing so?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭munsterfan2

Does the dish have free connections to the LNB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Windowsnut

One dish can feed an entire apartment complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If parties consent should be okay but will cable reach or needs extending.

Sometimes you may have to cut cables as connections seize onto lnbs so be warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cables should reach, there is free lnb connections and as I said, it's my father in law. Job for the next dry day so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Hopefully he is looking at what you are looking for.

Forgot to ask does he use Sky Q service which use a different lnb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

With the appropriate electrical isolation and distribution equipment. There are safety issues to be considered - not recommended to share a dish between two separate fuse board fed installations.

The electrical safety debate .... starts here .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭KildareP

Either through a grounded or earthed multi-switch or, more commonly, fibre which is not conductive anyway.

It's not best practise to connect two properties, fed from separate mains supplies, directly to the same dish - the risk, albeit small, is still there and the chances are if a fault occurs on the system then it will find you before you find it....

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Nevermind

Advertisement