Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on area: N Circular Rd, Dorset St lwr, Belvedere Rd

Options
  • 12-07-2022 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

We're looking at buying a house around the are of N Circular Rd, Dorset St lwr, Belvedere Rd. Don't know much about the area, and heard conflicting opinions. Driving/Walking around the area didn't help either, it does feel rough, but hard to say if it's actually unsafe.

Anyone lives/lived in the area and can give any insights in terms of safety (burglaries, harassment, gangs)? I know it's historically considered a rough neighbourhood, but I am hoping that it's on the up, with the proximity to Phibs and Drumcondra.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PSFarrell

I walk through this area daily. Personally over the past few years I think that area is not improving. The streets are heavily littered by tenants not paying bin charges. I would not say its going to become like phibsboro or drumcondra as the concentration of low income rentals is too high and the large amount if dilapadated buildings. I would not call it dangerous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 calculatingspace

Thanks for your comment. Yes, we seen a lot of litter in the surrounding streets and some rough looking people drinking outside their houses all hours of the day.

I've recently seen many houses on the street being sold or for sale atm so hoping that it might change a little. As long as there's not problem with house burglaries or car break-ins I think I might be able to live with the trashy streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭you2008

Run .............

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

The stretch of Dorset St is my most depressing part of Dublin inner city having lived near there in the late 80s and 90s. Even the mid section trees die on Dorset St..and I don't mean the Big Tree. Sure there is development going on e.g. ..the new Mater extension, a restaurant towards the Bolton st end that I happened across last week, new bike shops, etc . But still my idea of a city hellscape is walking Dorset St on a bleak January day. Turning it into Roma migrant camp sealed its fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 you_talking_to_me

Been originally from the area it’s sad to see how run down and dirty its looking right now. Agree there’s a lot of Roma immigrants in the area who unfortunately and it’s not a slight on them, don’t take too good care of the properties their living in and it gives a general run down feel to the area. They seem to loiter about a lot and it certainly doesn’t give a good feel to the place. There’s also a high proliferation of social housing tenants in the area and while most are good decent people there’s a few bad eggs.

That’s the bad.

But there’s plenty of good. It’s a terrific location, a good sound investment too as a property that close to the city centre will always be a very sellable or rentable asset.

I always found the place to have a really good community spirit and once you move in and get to know some neighbors I’m sure you’ll get that sense too.

And literally everything the city had to offer is on your doorstep.

Harrassment I don’t feel would be an issue more than any other place and there is no ‘gang cultures’ as opposed to what you may find developing in some of the suburbs of Dublin. Petty crime and theft can be an issue but no more than anywhere else.

The old North Inner City saying ‘never s**t on your own doorstep’ while somewhat bizarre is really kinda true as we were never really troubled or bothered by anyone while living there.

The massive development of Grangegorman not too far away from you, plans to redevelop Dorset Street flats and multi other developments underway and or planned it’s never dull and always interesting.

Id have no issue moving back to the area in the future and that’s about as good an endorsement as I could give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I lived at the top of Gardiner Street for 6-7 years (moved out in December) and did see it go through some improvements while I was there. Quite a few derelict buildings were redeveloped, and you've student accommodation there now and some other newish bits and pieces. Mountjoy Square park has cleaned up a bit too.

Overall, it's still visually rough though. I never felt in danger and never got any hassle in all my time there, but you just do not feel like you are in a 'nice' area that you'd settle down in. I always viewed that apartment as a 'place I'll live and enjoy for X period of my life and then move on somewhere nicer' kind of a thing.

Some parts of the area do look like they are trying to clean up and go through gentrification (and I wish them the best of luck with it!) but I don't think it will ever happen there. Not any time soon.

If you do like that area then I'd be looking further afield to Drumcondra, Stoneybatter, Phibsborough, Broadstone, Smithfield and (some parts of) Cabra.

Went with Stoneybatter myself in the end after viewing close to 50-60 properties across the above locations. Couldn't be happier, absolutely lovely location and you're still close to everything.

Advertisement