Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance required to identify a County Cork town/parish on the 1851 England Census

Options
  • 11-07-2022 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Could someone with local knowledge of towns/parishes in County Cork assist me in reading the attached census page in order to identify where Catherine McGrath was born, please? I don't recognise the town and can't easily read the writing.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

MOD NOTE: Welcome to Boards Stuart.

Can you provide a link to the source of the record as this will help others to help you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stuartinwales

When attempting to post the links to the census returns on Ancestry.co.uk, I received the following message:

• You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's right Stuart - apologies for my oversight.

I've found the record on Ancestry but am struggling to identify the place name.

LINK

If you haven't used it already the list of place names at townlands.ie can be a great help though it hasn't helped me in this instance!

Post edited by Hermy on

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have seen and searched the list but multiple attempts of letter combinations that I think I can read have not proven fruitful, e.g. there looks to be an NEC in the middle of the word. The first letter is possibly an A, but what would that make the word: Anecillea?

I think this is very likely a severe error in the spelling of a County Cork location by an English census taker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

He'd probably never heard of the place. Looks to have written parish names for other people (lots of St Something). Catherine may well have had a thick accent too.

Take a look at the Cork area of the map on https://registers.nli.ie/ as well just in case a parish name is different from a townland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I wonder if it may be an attempt at the Irish form of Annahala/Eanach Áille (from the townlands website).

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Poor guy, he just wanted to get the census-taking finished.

I think the townland is Kilcullen, which was written as Cincullen. It’s in North Cork, so McGrath country also.

St. Mary’s is the parish mentioned, Cork City Centre on Northside.

Yes, I can now see the capital C and the looped dot of the lowercase i. Thank you all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

It's an educated guess OP. It's a starting point for baptismal register searching. I have some doubts, as there is no certainty that the 'K' of Kilcullen would be pronounced/written as a 'C' by the census taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭kildarejohn

Kilcullen certainly possible, another possibility is Kilcully. It looks to me as if the word (as written) ends with ...cullea. Kilcully is anglicised from of Cill Cuile, so if the person was a native Irish speaker they would pronounce the name with an ending more like "ullea".

The enumerator was not too careful about spelling - see entry on next line "Care" (i.e. Cahir) Co.Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's almost no chance someone in England would know that Cahir was so spelled. It's highly likely the person saying it wasn't terribly literate either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement