Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omuu Dog Food (insect protein)

Options
  • 11-07-2022 10:47am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just come across Omuu dog food, an Irish brand made from insect protein https://omuupet.com/

Wondering if anyone has tried it or knows much about it? A canine behavioural consultant locally recommends it, but we can't really try it out as it seems to only be for adults and our girl is only 13 weeks yet. It's very expensive, but I love the idea of it being Irish and sustainable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nope for me. Dog jaws and teeth are designed to eat meat and bones - not bugs. Also I don’t see how farming bugs and processing them into dry food is more sustainable than feeding any other diet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aliceob86

Omg yes @Faith!!!!! You should definitely give it a try. My bichon has been eating Omuu for 6 months now and I'd never go back to another food. It was recommended by one of my friends who's dog was suffering from ear problems. My boy has so much energy now and he never liked dry food before this. He's 4 and thankfully he has no skin problems. I hope Omuu will help prevent any problem in the future. I just liked the fact it was sustainable and Irish. But he is an adult dog so maybe you can't feed it to your girl yet?? The customer service is amazing so I'm sure they would be able to tell you if you can feed it to your puppy?

Insects are definitely the future for dogs and humans too. Large areas of land doesn't need to be destroyed like cattle farming in the amazon. they are even destroying forests to grow crops just to feed the cattle. Insects can be farmed in high rise buildings in the middle of a city centre which I think is amazing. I think the biggest problem with livestock forming is the amount of food and water we need to feed them too, just to kill them for protein for ourselves and our pets? I also liked that Omuu supports charities. I don't see why larger corporations with all their millions don't do this too!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

We'll probably put our dogs on this once the price drops a little. It's definitely a much more sustainable source of protein to using.

I'd imagine I'll also start eating it once the human products start appearing properly too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Insect protein production uses a fraction of the energy inputs; but they also don't fart like ruminants do, so the total GHG emissions are a fraction of that fraction.

They're also better for water use, albeit not by quite the same dramatic amounts.

Not sure I'll be changing to crickets any time soon for my own food, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/may/08/if-we-want-to-save-the-planet-the-future-of-food-is-insectsv

Advertisement