Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance mess

Options
  • 10-07-2022 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

So I'm after kind of making a mess for myself.

I bought a new car and paid €170 to change my insurance over to it, from a previous car.

I still have my old car and now need to switch my insurance back onto it for a while.

Don't ask why, I just need to.

It'll cost me more money to change back the insurance and then I'll have to pay €170 again once my new car is ready.

Would the insurance company possibly refund the €170 and put me back on the original policy.

I'm afraid if I ring them and explain, they'll think I'm doing something shady and cancel everything or raise my premium the next time.

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can ask but it's highly unlikely that they will. They are a business not a charity.

If you have driving other cars that doesn't require the car to be insurance on your policy sell your old car to a friend, or swap cars with a friend who has a similar policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

You should just be able to do a temporary transfer back to the old car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭phormium

I know with my insurance company there is an admin charge of 25 I think for transfers, the higher amount is probably due to the new car having a higher value than the old car maybe? If so then you will probably have a new admin fee but not the cost for higher value which you will already have paid when you switch back again to new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

My insurance company will not do a temporary transfer but assumingh equal temp transfer is free i think.

Just call and explain circumstances, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 billybull999

Ide need it until the end of the month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just remember that if you transfer it back to the old car then your new car will no longer be covered. If the new car is in the garage being repaired then the garage insurance should cover it while there. If you have rejected the new car and given it back to the garage then it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

How much would it cost to get a separate policy for a month on the old car?

Advertisement