Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations for a reliable, economic, runaround car

Options
  • 10-07-2022 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi All,

I wanted to get some independent opinions from people with a lot more expertise than me.

We're looking to buy a second car as a runaround. Our budget is around 10k - 11k and we're looking at Japanese imports as they seem to be in excellent condition, have a great spec, low mileage and are quite clean.

We've visited a few dealers so far and have trawled the web to narrow down our ideal options. it's looking like the following would suit our needs:

1. 2014 Honda Fit (73K miles) - 1.5L Petrol hybrid Automatic (5 door Hatchback) with 2 year NCT and 6 month warranty.
    2. 2014 Toyota Prius L Edition (69K miles) - 1.5L Petrol Hybrid Automatic (5 door Hatchback) with 2 year NCT and 6 month warranty.
    3. 2016 Toyota Aqua DAA-NHP10 (80K miles) - 1.5L Petrol Hybrid Automatic (5 door Hatchback) with 2 year NCT and 6 month warranty.

I was told that the Honda Fit is the name they give to the 'Honda Jazz' in Japan. I'm not sure what the 'Toyota Aqua' is. Anyone any experience of these?

We don't want the car to be too big.... we're looking for something the size of a Toyota Auris.

We have two young children (under 5) so safety and isofix is an important part of the spec. Has anyone any experience of these types of cars, how reliable they are, what I should be aware of any any questions I need to ask the dealer?

Any helpful feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Aqua is related to the Yaris hybrid sold here. That along with the Fit or Jazz would be from the smaller segment below the likes of an Auris. Prius would be similar to an Auris in size but if the Prius is 1.5 litre then it's actually an Aqua as the Aqua was also known as a Prius C in some markets as well as dealers here incorrectly advertising them. A proper sized Prius from about 2008 onwards would be 1.8 litre rather than 1.5 litre and bigger than the Aqua.

FYI so that you know, the Toyota Aqua is very popular with thieves and joy riders at present as they are very easy to steel. Not sure about the Fit or Prius but some Japanese imports like the Auqa don't come with a factory fitted immobilizer meaning thieves don't need the key to take them.

Also not sure how long you plan to keep the car but size wise you should consider that while your 2 childern are small now, they won't stay small.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you’re buying an Aqua, make sure it’s the model with keyless start, as the one with keys can be started with a vise grip and a lollipop stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

Thanks for the advice, it seems like I should avoid the Aqua and any car advertised as a Prius 1.5 litre!

I expect that I'll keep the car about 2 or 3 years. We have a bigger family car but we now need a smaller second runaround car although it should be capable of having booster seats fitted for short journeys.

Thanks for the heads up, I've no intention of buying an Aqua. Apart from it being a little on the smaller side, I'm not keen on anything that's easily stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You don't mention what sort of daily mileage you'd be doing.

If its small, don't rule out an old Nissan leaf.

• Advertisement

The mileage wouldn't be big, it's literally just a runaround with the odd longer journey (3 hours) maybe twice a month max i.e. I'd be surprised if I did 8,000 miles in the car.

I don't think an all electric Nissan Leaf would be an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nissan Note is worth a look at too, there are 2017 non Japanese import ones within your budget if you don't require an auto:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2962917

Advertisement