Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ryder cup home rental con

Options
  • 09-07-2022 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Website has about 200 properties for rent for 10 day stays around the Ryder cup

Prices are up to a mere €75,000

Yep, €7,500 a night rental. In fairness a very nice rental.

The bargain basement is a very basic 3 bed bungalow for a mere €20,000.

That's about 50km away!!!?!

Why? - they were told by the website that they should charge this.

Of course the website charges them €195 for a listing (very nice money)

Are these people plain stupid or just utterly niaeve?

Same scam was going at previous Ryder cup. The website operation made huge money but virtually none of the properties had a letting.

If you are listed, you have been conned out of €195 by a slick talking salesperson giving you total bullsh1t rental figures. And if you think you will get €20k for a few days rental of a bog standard bungalow, you are utterly stupid.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/house-owners-told-to-seek-22000-rent-for-golf-tournaments-yet-to-receive-an-enquiry-41826314.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's quite funny

It's easy con greedy people usually

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its just wealth trickling down!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Or total fools and their money easily parted.

Almost jealous that I didn't come up with such a bad website and get some very stupid people to believe any crap I tell them and give me €195 for the pleasure.

Just didn't think there were people that gullible out there

Same guy suckered people at last Ryder cup too.

And they failed to rent at the lofty "suggested" price he gave

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/homeowners-taking-golf-fans-for-a-ryder-1.1036581

"The bigger the lie the more they believe"

Bunk Moreland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I see there are contact names given for each listing, looks like they may be the owners rather than a letting agent. I wonder if Revenue would be interested in looking at these listings as part of intelligence gathering. Naive and greedy people with big houses regularly fcuk up their tax affairs in my experience - could be some low hanging fruit there!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Very few people managed to rent full houses out at all (or at least not for money worth the effort of moving out somewhere yourself) during the 06 Ryder in Maynooth/Celbridge etc - the big rollers wanted services, not self-catering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Theres alot of talk down in limerick about this....but my bullshit radar has been alerted. ....is there anyone getting these types of huge figures...eg..quality houses in good locations?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you had a really really top spec house, you might get one of the top players looking to rent it off you.

McIlroy rented a house near me when he played the Irish Open a few years back.

But I very much doubt that even top players would be handing over 75k for that.

Absolutely no-one is getting anything near that money. This is a con where the guy is good at publicity and talks utter bull about pricing sucking people in to pay him €195.

You could stay in a 5 star hotel and have a helicopter take you there and back for far less.

People are just so stupid and gullible

• Advertisement

Is it a con though they're paying for a service but the pricing is way off

I'm sure I've heard of big money before but I think it was major golf championships

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A three-bedroom family house in Rathkeale for €35,000 is also among the properties available.

Must be the only property in Rathkeale that's not on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are they paying you 35k to stay in Rathkeale for a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

If there was any realistic chance, they would be taking a nice commission instead of a flat fee.

Advertisement